We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who are New Yorkers?

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
Who are New Yorkers?

I just read on Jeremiah's Vanishing New York the following (thanks NYNM)

"A NEW YORKER IS SOMEONE WHO LONGS FOR NEW YORK"

End Quote

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

It makes more sense in the context of the post:

"In the end, the NYPL host quoted Milan Kundera as saying, 'A European is someone who longs for Europe.' To which I will add the implied: A New Yorker is someone who longs for New York.

'Nostalgia' is made of two Greek words: Nostos, to return home, and algos, which means pain or suffering. It is literally homesickness. Maybe this is how you know if you're a New Yorker or not. It's not where you were born, or how many generations precede you, or how you make a living, but do you long painfully for New York? Are you homesick for this vanishing city?"

Especially when you add the preceding statements:

"Overall, other than Fullilove, I found there was too much optimism and resignation from the panelists. Rage came instead from the audience members. During the Q&A, Harlem and Lower East Side residents raged against gentrification. One woman informed us, 'The new gentrifiers are trying to change the name of Marcus Garvey Park--they think it's too militant and want to call it Mount Morris Park,' the park's name under its original (white) developers."

…blogspot.com/2008/06/eminent-domain-at-nypl…

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

Thanks AlicePalace!

All I saw on what I looked at was the quote and thought it would apply to lots of folks who post here. The ones who have already visited and "long" to return and those of us who "long" for our virgin voyage......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
72 helpful votes
3. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

BTW: Mindy Fullilove is a fascinating person: she is an African American psychiatrist at Columbia University Medical Center

who has done some excellent work on the relationship of mental health and "place", esp. urban settings (and esp. NYC). Her interest is in clinical psychiatry and public health.

asp.cumc.columbia.edu/facdb/profile_list.asp…

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

And why does it so often take tragedy to bring people together and bring out the best in ourselves....

Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

Now I am confused as to whom I am, as I long for both NYC and Europe. These are my main travel destinations...

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
17 reviews
44 helpful votes
6. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

There is no typical "New Yorker". We hail from all over the globe. Our neighborhoods are a montage of different cultures, Russian, Arabic, Hasidic, Greek, Polish, Carribean, Italian, and numerous others.

Some have wealth that would made King Midas blush. Living in multi million dollar condos with killer views. Others live modestly in housing projects hoping to make it through the week.

We have the elderly who line Ocean Parkway playing chess and gossiping, and the young who frolic in our parks, and skateboard on seemingly every hard surface.

Some are loners, shutting the world out, happy in annonymity. Some are celerity seekers.

We have punks who see Leftover Crack at ABC No Rio, and swells who don tuxedos for the opening of the Met. We have Yankee fans and Met fans. Religious and irreligious.

The frequently quoted line about New York comes from the film noire Naked City, "There are eight million stories in the naked city."

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

In25....maybe a Euro Yorker? Me too!

Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

"There is no typical "New Yorker". We hail from all over the globe. Our neighborhoods are a montage of different cultures, Russian, Arabic, Hasidic, Greek, Polish, Carribean, Italian, and numerous others.

Some have wealth that would made King Midas blush. Living in multi million dollar condos with killer views. Others live modestly in housing projects hoping to make it through the week.

We have the elderly who line Ocean Parkway playing chess and gossiping, and the young who frolic in our parks, and skateboard on seemingly every hard surface.

Some are loners, shutting the world out, happy in annonymity. Some are celerity seekers.

We have punks who see Leftover Crack at ABC No Rio, and swells who don tuxedos for the opening of the Met. We have Yankee fans and Met fans. Religious and irreligious.

The frequently quoted line about New York comes from the film noire Naked City, "There are eight million stories in the naked city.""

Mel - this should replace the 'wretched refuse' poem on the SOL, what eloquence!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

A New Yorker is a person who never takes the top newspaper in a pile.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
34 helpful votes
10. Re: Who are New Yorkers?

LOL, QB!

I was going to say that a New Yorker is a person who knows the one circumstance in which it's ok to pull the emergency break on the subway, but yours is better :)