We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in NYC

Cranston, RI
1 post
Save Topic
Overnight in NYC

My fiance and I are planning to see a Knicks game in November and would like to stay one overnight someplace very close to Madison Square Garden. The maximum price we would like to spend would be $250/night. Also, could you advise on a casual (but nice) place for dinner either in the Garden or within walking distance to it? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Madison Square Garden
Madison Square Garden
7,939 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,628 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in NYC

Juliannah, Madison Square Garden sits on top of Penn Station (trains) so the area is not the most glamorous. It's at 33 st and runs the entire block between 7th & 8th ave. It's not unsafe, just not so attractive. There is a hotel right across the street whose name I can't remember. In the general neighborhood, the 2 places I know get good reviews here are the Southgate Towers Suite hotel (part of the affinia group so look on affiniahotels.com) and the Avalon, a bit further east, just off Fifth Ave. Both should be within your budget although I hear prices are getting high because of strong demand this fall.

For a nice dinner, Nick and Stef's Steakhouse is right in the same building complex as the garden and has excellent food though not cheap. There's also an Irish pub in there called Tir Na Nog. The area also borders "little Korea" so there are lots of Korean places if you want to try that. Menupages.com is an excellent search engine for restaurants. If you select west 30's as a location (where the Garden is) you can then pick restaurants by type of food. You can also view menus. There's a trendy newish place called HK listed there on 9th ave and 39th so a few blocks walk. Here's the URL for reviews

menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Madison Square Garden
Madison Square Garden
7,939 Reviews
New York City, NY
Avalon Hotel
Avalon Hotel
1,760 Reviews
New York City, NY
Tir na Nog
Tir na Nog
607 Reviews
New York City, NY
2. Re: Overnight in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:55 pm, July 03, 2005