We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying brooklyn

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
staying brooklyn

Planning to be based in Brooklyn for our next trip , how is the area around Dekoven Court ? Subway ,restaurant , bars etc. ?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying brooklyn

The subway (Newkirk Avenue on the Brighton line of the BMT -- which these days would be the B and Q trains) is about a five minute walk, and so is convenient enough. It is an extremely diverse neighborhood.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying brooklyn

Unless you are familiar with the area I would limit

your choices to Manhattan. I do not think you would

be happy there.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying brooklyn

I have no experience with that precise street but the area you are asking about is close to Brooklyn College on the edge of Flatbush and Midwood - a neighborhood which I do know a bit.

It is a very diverse neighorhood in terms of ethnicity and socioeconomic status. It's not an area tourists usually see or experience but it is an interesting place to stay if you want to see how a real Brooklyn neighborhood feels. Some of the blocks have amazing victorian era homes (mostly to the north in the area around Courtelyou), while others have fairly ugly, large apartment buildings.

If you will be staying with someone who is familiar with the area, you will probably have a fine time. If you are renting a place and don't know the area you might want to reconsider the choice as you might feel kind of lost - a lot depends on your expectations. It is an area that has been slowly gentrifying for decades. Most of the restaurants are low-end chinese, pizza and caribbean joints. One exception is Courtelyou Rd. - about 5 blocks to the north - which has an organic supermarket, some nice restaurants, a cafe, bakery and a bar or two. Here are some photos of the Victorian area around Courtelyou and to the north: http://www.planetplg.com/ditmas/ .

There's a subway stop a couple of blocks to the north (Newkirk) where the B/Q trains can take you into Manhattan or deeper in to Brooklyn towards Coney Island.

The street you mention is a dead end right next to the subway tracks (which are above ground here)which concerns me a bit. Streets like that in Brooklyn are often loud hang-out zones during the summer. As things can change drastically block to block in this area, you would really need to know how that particular street is - something I can't tell you having never been on it.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying brooklyn

Are you thinking of staying here?

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60827-d2960…

Looks great from the reviews :-). I had never heard of it...

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying brooklyn

I re-read my response and perhaps I was a little too

harsh on the area and the location. I like Dan have

never been there but I do live in Brooklyn and have

not always having relocated here 8 years ago from the

suburbs of Boston.

I would discount all of the reviews on TA because they

all could be written by the owner under a different

name.

Brooklyn if it were a stand alone city would be the

4th largest city in the country. There are many diverse and culturally different sections of Brooklyn

and all of that is what makes Brooklyn great.

My main objection to your plan is that we assume

that you want to have a NEW YORK CITY EXPERIENCE and

to most travelers that means the big city feel and

the bright lights. If you are ok with just being in

a place (even if it is a nice place) that could be in any suburb in the United States then go for it.

I would feel less safe walking down dark streets

from the subway very late at night but maybe you

wouldn't Just keep your street smarts about you.

It is not uncommon for people here to go out to

dinner at an outdoor cafe at 9 or 10pm and not

finish until midnight. If that is what you want to

do then just be careful going home not on the train

which will be safe but will empty out as you get

closer to your destination but rather on the walk

from the subway to this location. There are 8

million people in this city and sorry to say not

all of them are good people.

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying brooklyn

I appreciate all the advice given , as always . Perhaps we`ll stay in Manhatten and try to see as much as we can of Brooklyn by visiting during the day .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying brooklyn

I grew up fairly close to that area, and I would say it is OK, and rather "different." It is certainly not Manhattan, but the commute seems good, and that subway ride is straightforward. If you take the train in the opposite direction, you also wind up in about 20 min. in Coney Island.

Parts of the neighborhood, called variously Kensington, Ditmas, Newkirk is really beautiful (as noted by the link above) but others are rather plain and even a bit run down, esp. near Coney Island Ave. Brooklyn College is not really very very close, and also mixed. The neighborhood itself is a mix of Caribbean, Pakistani, Russian, etc. etc.

I would say, if someone is up for an adventure, and wants to save some $$, yes do it, it is not the typical tourist experience.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying brooklyn

I would say th. e above is an honest well informed

description. I think you will be happier in Manhattan

but for sure come visit Brooklyn. There is lots to

see. I love your city BUSB- My grandmother comes from

Coatbridge.

nj
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: staying brooklyn

hahahaha really because I'm a big fan of boxing ohhh well I guess it says a lot about boxing fans then right?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: staying brooklyn

"If you are ok with just being in a place (even if it is a nice place) that could be in any suburb in the United States then go for it."

I have to disagree with this statement. This part of Brooklyn is unlike anywhere else in the country. My daughter went to PS 139, just up the street on Courtelyou, and it is quite a trip seeing the parents come get their kids at the end of school. The parents of the kids there speak 60+ different languages. It is one of the most diverse areas of country and as such, very interesting.

Also, Brooklyn College is just 4 blocks away. If the owner is posting his own reviews, he speaks Italian very well :-).