We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Midtown

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Midtown

My daughter and I are planning three nights in NYC in early December for shopping, dining, and Holiday activities. Would like to stay between 45th and 55th. Looking for a quiet, comfortable room with maximum square footage for our price range. We appreciate luxury and atmosphere, but don't like snobs. Willing to spend up to $450/night plus tax. There are so many choices! Would appreciate recommendations based on personal experience. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Midtown

You don't specify east side vs west side. The luxury choices in that 10 block span that I would consider are:

>the Helmsley Palace 50th & Madison Ave. right behind St Patrick's cathedral and Saks Fifth Ave. (in fact part of the hotel once belonged to St Patrick's)

>The St. Regis is on 55th just east of Fifth Ave.

>The Peninsula Hotel is on 55th just west of Fifth which has an indoor pool and a great spa.

A step down from those are

>The Elysee on 54th just off Madison is a small, not terribly well known place.

>The Drake Swissotel on Park & 56th

If you were interested in having a kitchen, the Benjamin is also in that area. I've purposely not included the Waldorf. Reviews are not great and I don't like the location.

For the sort of trip you're planning, if you don't care about a pool or spa I'd pick the Elysee mostly because of the location and the fact that you could probably get a suite there with your budget. If you want a spa and lots of services, I think the Peninsula would be best. The Ritz Carlton Central Park which is getting excellent reviews here is another thought but is on CPS so 59th st. The Essex House is also on CPS.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Midtown

I like the luxury of the St. Regis, they have all kinds of different rooms, various sizes, some with sitting areas, you need to specify what kind of room you want.. I love the afternoon tea in the Astor Court, and I was impressed by the helpful and friendly service I experienced there.

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Midtown

My husband and I LOVE the Omni Berkshire on 52nd/Madison. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are wonderful. If you can spring for a suite - thats definitely luxury, but even the standard rooms are great. And its close to everything Midtown.

4. Re: Hotel in Midtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:55 pm, July 03, 2005
Florida
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Midtown

I also loved the Omni. It is in an excellent location, the room was cozy and very nice.