We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area to Stay

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area to Stay

I am planning a trip to New York and would like to know the best area to stay in Manhattan would be. It will just be for me and my boyfriend. We are both in our mid-twenty's.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area to Stay

There is no one best area. It depends primarily on your budget as to what hotel you can afford.

2. Re: Best Area to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:51 am, April 14, 2009
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area to Stay

Lower Manhattan (the Village (East or West, Cheslea) would be a good location for someone in your age bracket.

But, I also agree that it does not matter location focus on what you can afford as NYC a easy city to get around and sites are all over.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area to Stay

Everyone has their own favorite locations. It depends on your budget and what type of hotel you prefer. I usually say pick the nicest hotels at the best prices for your dates and then use location as a way to narrow options. For more specific info you'd have to give us dates, your budget and what you like to do. (ie is theater a big part of the trip? Is clubbing important?)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area to Stay

I don't have a budget. We tend to walk alot, so somewhere central would be great.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area to Stay

Central = midtown.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area to Stay

Say Central = Midtown is not accurate. There is no Central part. Unless you want them to stay in "Central Park". Which is physically the center of Manhattan.

Choose a hotel based on your budget and then follow up with location. A great way to see NYC is to break it up in parts and do sightseeing on each day.

For example; Upper East one day, Upper West another, Midtown and then the lower areas on another day.

Then you can move to visiting the outter areas (Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, etc.)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area to Stay

Unlike many cities, there is no Central District in New York. Really, there are two separate business districts, Downtown and Midtown. The Financial District is Downtown. Times Square is in Midtown. To make it even more complicated, much of Midtown is separated by Central Park into the East and West Sides.

Now the fun begins. In addition to these destinations there are plenty of other places in NYC that you may like. Take areas like Greenwich Village or Soho.

Wherever you stay, remember that you are only a subway ride away from whatever you want to see. If you stay in Midtown, it only takes 20 minutes to head to Downtown.

Research the neighborhood to determine what fits in with your travel style. Check out this site's hotel reviews, get the best price, and book a room.

England
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area to Stay

Hi there,i stayed at the Belvedere a couple of years ago,its at 8th Avenue and West 48th Street,its a lovely hotel situated in Hells Kitchen,dont be put off by the name,its a nice place,some good bars nearby,not too far from Times Square,but just enough on a night to be away from the hustle bustle of Times Square,hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area to Stay

Geez, if price isn't a consideration, I'll recommend a suite in the Mandarin Oriental by Central Park, but are you seriously willing to pay upwards of $1200/night?

Agree with others that location need not/should not be your driving concern. But take a look at this page; halfway down are links to Frommer's Attractions maps, grouped by general areas, which I think are useful:

frommers.com/destinations/…21_maps.html

And this piece describing NYC neighborhoods -- found on the FAQ "sticky" that's always on top of the Forum index page -- gives you a feel for "the lay of the land" in general:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s204/New-York-…