We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Just returned

My family, including myself, husband, and 3 teenagers just returned last night from 5 days in NYC. Our trip was wonderful, thanks to all the info I gleaned from this trip advisor. My family was so impressed with how organized and knowlegeable I was about everything!! One of the best moments for me was coming up out of the subway onto Times Square!! It was amazing, and as we walked down the street, I recognized most of the names of shops, restaurants and hotels that I had been studying for months. We were not particularly interested in eating fancy (my kids mainly like "kid food") or a lot of shopping. The highlight for the kids were the shows, and for me, just the whole general experience.

Day 1, Wed 22nd Arrived in Times Square at 7AM! Dropped off our bags at Doubletree, and walked down to Rockefeller Center to que for tickets to Conan O'Brien. There was a long line for this, and decided to give it up. Joined the crowds watching Today show for awhile, then took NBC tour. Husband then went to Yankee Stadium for noon tour while rest of family went to USO to pick up tickets for matinee of Dracula. My teenagers went to this alone while I checked into hotel. The kids LOVED Dracula and are now interested in seeing every Broadway show they can! Quick dinner and then whole family goes to Fiddler on the Roof. Wonderful, exhausing day!

Day 2

Up early, down to Battery Park by 7:30 to catch ferry over to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Took observatory tour of Statue, enjoyed very much. I'm glad there is good security, but was very tired of taking off boots and all gear every time! Walked through Wall Street, visited Ground Zero. Females on to China Town (good Chinese food) and shoppping, men back to hotel to nap. Pouring rain by evening--oldest son obtains ticket to Phantom of Opera, rest of family to Comedy Club. Rain and exhaustion curtail the walking around I had planned for late evening.

Day 3

Christmas Eve Walk up 5th Ave, spend time in FAO Schwartz. Got there right when it opened, so very roomy, enjoy very much. Husband buys an enormous giraffe (my height) which we now have to take with us as we continue up fifth, then down Park Ave. Back to hotel to drop off giraffe, then on to Blue Man Group for 2pm show. Awesome!! Great call, trip advisor wizards!! We loved it!! Dinner at Virgil's BBQ (my Texan husband grudgingly admits that New Yorkers can really do BBQ). Walking around.

Day 4 Christmas

Sleep in a little, then walk to Grand Central Station, on to UN (everything closed up tight, no flags or anything), then on the Empire State Bldg. Lots of people waiting in line, but lines moves quickly, and up on observation tower within 45 minutes. Enjoy talking to people in line, so wait is not bad. On to Central Park, walk a long distance, wishing for a little warmer weather. Subway back to hotel, then final souvenir shopping for kids, rest for Radio City Music Hall for 7pm show. Great show, but kids would have preferred another Broadway show. Husband and I go to Cleopatra's Needle for a little jazz music, but don't stay too long. Music is only okay.

Day 5

Plan to take in Met Art Museum, but prediction of bad weather coming and possible bad weather on driving route home, decide to leave right after breakfast. Take our originally minimal luggage plus purchases and giraffe on subway, catch Staten Island Ferry, and pick up truck at Navy Lodge where we have left it during trip.

Our favorites: all shows, hotel good, and location great, older teenagers could be somewhat independent because everything was so close. Next trip I will chose in warmer weather, and will chose a hotel farther from the hubbub of Times Square--it was so convenient, but next time I want a different experience.

Wonderful trip, thanks to all. This forum made all the difference. Bev

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned

Wow Bev, your clan took in a lot of shows. That giraffe must be a real pip!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned

Great report Bev. Anxious to hear about the comedy club. Which one did they go to and did they like it? People are always asking about comedy clubs and I really don't know which are best. Also were the teens' age a prob. in getting in?

For your next visit, hearing great things about Dizzy's jazz club in new Time Warner building. Hoping to go myself soon. ;)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned

We checked out some of the larger comedy clubs, but there was a 16 year old limit, and our daughter is 14. The age limit made we concerned about the material, even though my daughter could pass for much older. We actually ended up going to a small club called Ha! Comedy Club, on about 45th (I think) and 9th that had no age limits. We had never been to a comedy club, so it was a fun experience, but not the most professional. One of the 7 comedians used a lot of off color jokes, but rest were okay, some language.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned

How was the Doubletree? Thats where my husband and I are staying next week..

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned

We were very happy there. We had a suite on the 40 floor looking out on Times Square. With my husband's Hilton card, we got complimentary breakfast buffet every morning, and it was very good. It was so convenient to drop by the room occassionally to leave off items or take a break. All Broadway shows, lots of restaurants, tkts, etc in easy walking distance.