We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car JFK to White Plains

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
376 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Car JFK to White Plains

Our cousins have arranged a car to take us from JFK to their house on December 31st. Any idea how much it could cost and any idea on how much of a tip we should give.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car JFK to White Plains

Haven't a clue. Connecticut Limo has shared ride service to White Plains according to this for I think $40 so it could be pricey.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsfram.htm

Why not ask your cousins? :) You should also ask them about tipping. Sometimes if you use a guy who owns his own car/limo, you don't need to tip vs a company. I'd ask them. Tipping on New Year's should be generous.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
376 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car JFK to White Plains

I'm amazed at the quick response. I don't want to ask my cousins the cost as we are really travelling there to visit someone who is very ill. I think they have other worries at present besides finding out the cost. (however I'd love to ask! but I really can't) Then we are going to downtown for the rest of our stay. That has been arranged too, via train to Central Station.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car JFK to White Plains

Really sorry to hear about your ill relative. Do you know the name of the service that will be picking you up? You could see if they have a website. If it's all been arranged, while you might not want to ask, I certainly would because your relatives may have already paid! You could wind up paying twice. There are ways of asking. Are you in phone or email contact? What have they told you about the pick up? It would not be unusual for you to ask something like, how much should we be prepared to pay the driver? What is an appropriate tip? See what they say.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
376 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car JFK to White Plains

That's a great idea of asking discreetly. There is a huge possibility that they have paid already but I didn't want to ask how much. Looking forward to seeing NY this weekend!