We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

Tyrone
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

hello

We are going to NYC at end April. Been there before (last time in 2006) and loved it due to buzz, energy and atmosphere. Concerned though that it may feel like a different place now due to the economic climate? Is the atmosphere any different - eg: downbeat, depressed etc? Anyone been there / there now that could comment? Thanks

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

The only thing I have noticed as a resident is that

the higher priced restaurants seem not nearly as

crowded. It was rare during the boom days to go into

a place and see empty tables now it is kind of common

place.

Everybody today is looking for a bargain and the

theater/tourist districts seem just as busy as ever.

2. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:04 am, April 12, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

Hotel are reporting somewhat less filled rooms, which should be a boon for tourists coming to NYC. A agree that some restaurants appear to be less crowded as well. As for everything else, it looks the same as it ever was. Saturday the line for the ESB wrapped around the building. No shortage of visitors there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

I was actually just having this discussion with some of my Real Estate friends.

The conculsion; New York City is seperate from the rest of USA. We are not affect here as greatly as others in other states.

Housing prices in Manhattan still are at a high. Rates of hotels and prices of items are still, and will remain higher than the rest of the country.

Plus New York being the city that it is - tourism will always remain high and the fancination will always remain.

It will always remain a city that has one of the greatest tourist pulls as it (Manhattan especially) caters greatly to tourists.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

The differences I see:

>stores are not as crowded and sales help are either more accomodating or in some cases pushier-especially in smaller stores. (would you like me to see what we can do if you take all 3 pair of shoes???)

>easier to get reservations at restaurants

>some shows that were never discounted (ie South Pacific & Disney shows) are starting to offer discounts

>more sales

>many shops & restaurants closing

>overhearing more discussions about hard times or who lost their job

But I don't sense a general malaise in the streets. Everyone is very happy that spring is finally arriving.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

*** Been there before (last time in 2006) and loved it due to buzz, energy and atmosphere. Concerned though that it may feel like a different place now due to the economic climate? Is the atmosphere any different - eg: downbeat, depressed etc? ***

"This is Sparta !"

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

Normally I would say I dont see so many shopping bags, but so many stores are having sales all the time (varying % off), that I always see shopping bags, and some from High-End stores.

examples of my two recent purchases (both lord & Taylor) - I normally wouldnt discuss what I pay, but I wanted to show you what deals you can get.

shirt - orig $89 (never wd pay that), but with discounts, coupons, my L&T card, ended up paying about $36.

Raincoat (I was desparate): Orig $215 and I thought I was going to pay that, but turns out it was on sale (not posted) and the nice saleslady gave me an addtl disc even though I didnt have coupon, so I paid about $133.

My best shopping advice: If there's a store you REALLY want to shop in, get there as soon as the store opens, before it gets crowded. In L&T I hardly ever see "crowds"....

Only DOWNSIDE for me: a lot of the stores that carry "womens" sizes seem to be cutting down their selection. I dont know why they think we dont need fashionable business clothes. I WOULD spend the money on Ralph Lauren etc...I just cant get the clothing.

Tyrone
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

Thanks a million everyone for the advice. Seems overall, NYC still is unique and has the atmosphere but a few more bargains to be had which is great, not as many queues and the spring time is a good time to go. Thanks agin for responding - all very useful for us. Good luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

i did not find febuary too much different than other years. some hotels &their resturants were empty. but i think it picked up later. the really popular downtown places were packed. got some great sales @old navy. (i bought multiples for the uniform). there were some 70% off sales on madison avenue, but just left overs. every thing else was normal price if not a little higher than 6 months before. new york will always have visitors. the only time it was weird was like the 8 weeks after the world trade attack.

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
422 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atmosphere & Energy Same in NYC with economic climate?

"I was actually just having this discussion with some of my Real Estate friends.

The conculsion; New York City is seperate from the rest of USA. We are not affect here as greatly as others in other states."

Spelling aside, this could not be much further from the truth. NYC's tax base is tied to Wall St and the financial industry. The boom from the early 90's until last fall was fueled by that money.

With layoffs, closings, and more to come, everyone from taxi drivers to the restaurant and tavern owners are feeling it, and it is far from over.

Will NYC survive? Of course! Flourish in the near future? I don't think so...