We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much to tip hair salon?

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
how much to tip hair salon?

Im getting married in NYC in October.

The salon has quoted me $163 and then add on 4% tax.

How much tip do i put ontop if any?

It is my wedding day but then i feel im paying enough anyway, im paying for the style....do i have to tip?

They are only doing my hair on the day.

Thanks, Hails :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

Yes, it is customary to tip your stylist about 15-20%.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

I am paying $163 so how much roughly? $10?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,964 posts
42 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

Tips are proper protocol in a hair salon. The added tax is not something the salon gets. They don't charge the tax, they collect it and pass it on to the government. You made the choice to spend $163 on a special wedding day style. That doesn't excuse you from paying a tip. ( even if you feel you are paying enough anyway--as you said, you are paying for the STYLE!!)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

No, Hails. If your bill is $163 a $10 tip would only be about 6%. As I wrote above it is customary to tip between 15% and 20%.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

$163 divided by 5 is $32.60. It wouldn't hurt you to round up, either.

6. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:14 am, April 08, 2009
7. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:47 pm, April 07, 2009
8. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

Removed on: 11:20 am, April 08, 2009
9. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

Removed on: 5:32 pm, April 07, 2009
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: how much to tip hair salon?

Unbelievable.