We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Citifield Review

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Citifield Review

Being a big Mets fan (and baseball fan), I was excited that I was able to snag tickets to the game at Citifield on Saturday. The Mets had an online sale a few weeks back and I was able to get field level seats for $50 - the average cost of the seats are $175 for the regular season (depending upon the "level" of the game).

Anyway, we arrived early to check out the new stadium and walk around. The parking is $18 and we had no problems with the traffic flow (we did arrive early). Leaving the game was also much easier than before - in the past at Shea, it would take about 45 minutes just to leave the parking lot. Now it just takes a few minutes. My wife and other son came in from the city by the 7 train. From the outside, the stadium is beautiful - red brick and exposed steel - very "retro" look.

The concourses are wide, though it was very crowded - it seemed that a lot of people were just walking around to get a feel for the stadium. A lot of nooks and crannies. In the right field area is a nice little play area: a wiffle ball field for the little ones, a "dunk booth" - although it wasn't filled with water (I guess it was just too cold : ), and a video game area with 2K sports games.

Food - lots of options including Shake Shack, Blue Smoke, grilled sausages, Nathan's, and a Worlds Market Fare which had sushi. The lines for food when we arrived weren't bad, but became ridiculously long on the field level/main concourse. If you go upstairs to the promenade level, the lines were significantly shorter. I suspect this was due to the fact that not only were there more seats on the field level, but also many fans were just walking around the main concourse.

Bathrooms - there were plenty. I was surprised to note that there were NO LINES for the women's room and relatively short lines for the men's room. My wife later told me that they had a tremendous amount of stalls in there. I remember reading earlier that they were installing many more stalls for the women's bathrooms. The men's lines, as expected moved very quickly. BTW, the urinals were waterless urinals and the sinks and paper towel dispensers were sensored.

The field - absolutely beautiful. Lots of irregularities in the outfield wall. There's an overhang in right field - the bleacher section hangs over fair territory. The views from the seats were great. We sat at field level and had great seats, but we also walked around and it appears that every seat has good if not great views. The upper deck areas also seem to have much better views and are closer to the field than had Shea Stadium. There were some minor obstructed views that some had complained about, especially in left field where they couldn't see the left field warning track, but "so what." That's what you're going to get when you get closer to the field. The only way to alleviate this would have been to make the stands steeper and as a result, sit farther away from the field.

On last thing, there seems to be at least 5 "clubs" that are limited admission throughout the stadium, depending on what kind of ticket you have. Our ticket allowed us entrance into the Acela club - this is a restaurant in left field with glass walled views of the game. Unfortunately, we couldn't get in because you needed reservations. So, we were "banished" to our seats on the field level down the first base line in the 7th row (although our tickets were for row 5 - they also do the theater row trick where there was a row D and row C in front of us).

All in all, a great experience and a very nice stadium. I've been to a number of ballparks and Citifield ranks up there with AT&T Park in San Francisco and Safeco Field in Seattle. I think I like AT&T a little better because they have such wonderful views of the Bay.

BTW, O. Perez stinks - he doesn't deserve $36 million, but then again, who does?

Texas
Level Contributor
6,683 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Citifield Review

Daninny, I'm not even planning a trip to Citifield and I enjoyed your review. I'm sure it will be of great help to those who have upcoming tickets. It sounds like your family had a awesome experience! :D

BTW... I've only driven by AT&T Park in San Francisco, but it is truly a breathtaking place to view or play a game!

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Citifield Review

Can you get into the restaurants without a ticket to a game or do you need that to get in? May check it out when I am there for the US Open in August so was curious if you needed a ticket or not.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Citifield Review

As for the restaurants, I don't know for sure, but I imagine that you need tickets for the game. The reason I say this is that the entrance to the restaurants - actually by "restaurants" I think you mean the "clubs" (i.e. Acela club, Delta club, etc.) - are located within the stadium itself without an outside entrance. So you'll have to enter the stadium first. As for Blue Smoke and Shake Shack, etc., those are just stands rather than true sit down places, although there are tables (no chairs, but standing) nearby and they are also within the confines of the stadium.

So, in answer to your query regarding going during the US Open, you probably can not.

As an aside, while you're at the US Open, if you can get tickets for the US Open club (which was free if you were a USTA member last year), they have a very nice sit down restaurant at Ashe Stadium. The food is fantastic although a bit pricey. It's air-conditioned inside and they have tvs for viewing the matches. The food is much better than the overpriced food in the food court (though pricier).

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Citifield Review

Just bumping this thread up for those who may be interested in visiting Citifield in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Citifield Review

It looked beautiful the past few times I flew over it going to LGA. Can't wait to catch a game there and at the other new stadium built for that team up in the Bronx.

All is well in the world as it's baseball season!

6. Re: Citifield Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:29 pm, April 07, 2009
Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Citifield Review

Sorry I couldn't spice it up for you Sam. I guess Citifield just isn't too exciting for someone from the great city of Syracuse who may have seen it all. Perhaps you're too good for those who may be interested in seeing some baseball while in NYC.

new york
Level Contributor
417 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Citifield Review

Thank you for the info on citifield, My family and I are met fans and can't wait to see this new stadium. Good to here its easier to get in and out with a car. I may need to take out a loan before we go!!! LOL

LETS GO METS!!!!!!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Citifield Review

Yes, it is expensive, but there are a lot of more affordable seats. The bad news is that these are probably harder to get. The good news is that if you do get them, the vantage point is much better than it used to be from a comparable seat at Shea. As for prices, overall, the prices are much cheaper than at Yankee Stadium. Ha Ha.

new york
Level Contributor
417 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Citifield Review

I have not tryed to get tickets yet, I think I will wait until may or june to go. By then all the kinks should be worked out.

I am just happy to be able to get some good food

Are they selling wine?

I did enjoy my glass of red (with garlic fries) At ATand T park last summer Beautiful stadium!!!