We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new years eve

london uk
5 posts
Save Topic
new years eve

we arrive in new york on the 30th dec - so excited! We'd love some advice/ideas on what to do on new years eve - we guess times square is the obvious one but would prefer somewhere less hectic! Any fun restaurants for new years eve would be useful too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: new years eve

I'd skip Times Square! You've got to be there by midday and stand in a pen until midnight -- you've gotta be mad! I'd recommend enjoying a nice dinner and then heading up to Central Park to watch the fireworks. The park's pretty busy NYE, with a big midnight race that's very popular too. The best place to watch the fireworks is from Bethesda Terrace, just south of the Lake. Enter on 72nd Street from either side of the park.

You'd need to book a reservation for dinner. Go to www.opentable.com. They've got a list of places offering special NYE dinner, including Fleur de Sel, Artisanal, Olive's and others that look pretty nice. I'm planning to have a late dinner at the Boathouse, right on the Lake, but I didn't see it on the opentable.com site. You might try calling them directly at 001-212-517-2233 if it sounds good to you too.

Happy New Year's! (Dress warmly.)

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new years eve

Times Square on NYE is not really great unless if you are young and crazy! But it can still be fun though; the craziness and all the people and the new year in New York City! It's mostly young people who do it. I did it in my youth and I didn't even get to see the ball drop because I arrived in the evening and couldn't get close enough for the view. You have get there early in order to see the ball drop and you wait all day in the cold! Kinda tedious though.

The best way to see the ball drop in Times Square is to book a room in a hotel in Times Square with a window facing the new year's eve festivities or have access to a hotel lounge with a view of outside. I think the Marriot hotel has one and maybe other hotels too. You may want to call the hotels for more info and plan way ahead because, now it may be too late because all the rooms and reservations are probably sold out but I could be wrong.

Find some cool party or event at a restaurant or club or even a concert which I happen to love to do on NYE in NYC. I'm seeing the band String Cheese Incident at Radio City Music Hall on NYE and I'm staying at the Americana Inn for $105!(I booked 3 months ago) Great price for NYE in NYC, especially since it's close to Times Square and the main attractions.

Anyway, good luck on your NYE search in NYC. No matter where you are in New York, you'll have a blast and the energy will be there. Just try if you can to be indoors where you have access to drinks and maybe good food if possible and hopefully some type of live entertainment as well, which can enhance the experience a bit more. Happy New Year!

london uk
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: new years eve

Thanks so much for advice can't wait to get there !