We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BYO Bottle of Wine to River Cafe?

S. California
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
BYO Bottle of Wine to River Cafe?

Is it tacky to bring my own bottle of wine to the River Cafe? Here in L.A. I don't feel strange about taking a good bottle of wine into a fancy restaurant for a corkage fee, but I'm wondering if it's perceived differently in your fair city. It's a really good bottle of wine and we're celebrating a big occasion. But just as doggie bags are looked down upon in France, so I don't do them, I want to do as the romans, and pay River Cafe's (no doubt) tremendous mark-ups for a good bottle of wine. By the way, we'd probably end up buying another bottle or two during the course of dinner (although this is a magnum).

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BYO Bottle of Wine to River Cafe?

After a magnum and two other bottles of wine, my guess is you really won't care what they think ;-)

I really don't think you can or should, but by all means e-mail them and ask, who knows, maybe RC has an outrageous corkage fee too!

Here's a little hint though...The wine list is a Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence with 600+ selections and an astonishing inventory of over 47,000 bottles. Carefully and thoughtfully selected top vintages and top producers of Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, Rioja, Italian, Australian, some South Africa and German selections and a page of top California cabs and merlots that featured an extensive range of vintages back through the eighties. Prices are expensive.

S. California
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BYO Bottle of Wine to River Cafe?

Why didn't I think of that?? I just called them and they told me they "don't allow that," so I guess we'll be celebrating with their "carefully and thoughtfully selected top vintages." Thanks for your response LTT!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BYO Bottle of Wine to River Cafe?

Glad to help! BTW - they have some killer California labels that you don't see that often in NYC - the Mount Eden Estate cabernet and the Sonoma Cutrer chardonnay are great.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BYO Bottle of Wine to River Cafe?

pallidin... I'm with you, I like being able to BMOB and pay the corkage fee, cuz I hate mark-ups. That said, if you are an oenophile, consider a jaunt to Cru in NYC. Not only do they have some of the best wines around, but incredible food pairings to go with them. Wine lover's paradise, creme de la creme. I went to a party recently catered with some offerings from Cru and was blown away.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BYO Bottle of Wine to River Cafe?

Hi Voyagereuse

Which wines were some of your favorites? Just read about Cru in an issue of Food & Wine today (sounds great).