We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Immigration

Melbourne
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
JFK Immigration

We recently visited NY 10th Jan - 14th Jan. My son & I have a Aussie Passport , my husband UK. My son & I had no problems but my husband had to go to another room for some reason they could not stamp his passport - no reason given. We waited in this room filled with various other travellers from many different countries. 2.5 hours later my husband was called to collect his passport no questions were asked of him still don't know why we had to wait all that time and no explanation given. The manner in which these officers spoke to other travellers was disgusting! I have never seen such a bunch of unhappy employees in my life! No one dared speak back to them in the fear of not being allowed into NY. Who do you complain to? Will anyone listen? I understand how serious they have to be with immigration issues but they spoke to some of the people like animals.

If they had spoke to my husband like that I am sure he would have told them where to stick their country! Rest of the holiday was good will post trip report soon. Wonder if anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,240 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
551 Reviews
from $34.00*
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,551 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK Immigration

I do not know why your husband was held up. I would imagine it had nothing to do with a British passport (vs. Aussie) and everything to do with either someplace he had visited prior to coming here OR someone with a name similar to his. For security reasons no explanation is given and it really isn't appropriate for someone to expect one. ( IMO) These officers are protecting the US. They DO have a right to deny entry. No one ( as much as we love tourists) has the right to expect entry!

re: your feeling that the officers spoke inappropriately. I won't excuse bad manners BUT considering these officers were dealing with people who were being detained ( albeit for a short time) you have no idea how much verbal abuse THEY may have been subject to that day. Mind you I am not excusing them, but offering what may be an explanation for their poor behavior. I doubt there is anyone you can complain to. Their job is part immigration and part security.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK Immigration

We thought it might be the fact he had an Australian migration visa on his passport but who knows! Any way if they had a bad day then don't tar everyone with the same brush! I work in the medical field , we cope some abuse too! If i spoke to people like that in my job I wouldn't have a job for long! If they are being abusive I am sure there must be some sort of complaints procedure. I intend to find out!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK Immigration

What exactly did they say that was so disturbing?

Valley Stream Long...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK Immigration

I have heard similar cases about tough immigration stances at JFK. I heard its even worse in Miami.

5. Re: JFK Immigration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 18, 2009