We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Penn Station to JFK

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
From Penn Station to JFK

How long does it take using the subway? Someone can explain me the lines I should use? Or it's better to use the taxi?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

There's on online planner here that will show you the options and times.

http://tripplanner.mta.info/

You can take the E train to Jamaica then the Airtrain to JFK. Should take around 50 mins to an hour.

You can also take the LIRR to Jamaica (Long island Rail Road) which costs a little extra, but more comfortable. Again, change to the Airtrain.

www.mta.info/lirr/html/ttn/jamaican.htm

Taxi can be 'better' if you have a lot of luggage or there are several of you.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
206 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

I prefer the Long Island Rail Road, the trains are super fast and they run very frequently. I can get from Penn Station to Terminal 1 at JFK in less than 45 minutes.

If you're leaving on a weekend, buy a CityTicket for $3.25 (it is only valid on the day you purchase it so you must wait until your departure day). $5.25 on weekdays off-peak. If you're leaving Manhattan between 4:00PM and 8:00PM you'll need to buy at $7.00 ticket, this is peak.

If you prefer to use your unlimited ride MetroCard and not worry about paying for the Long Island Rail Road, simply get the Jamaica bound E train to the 2nd to last stop, Sutphin / Archer - Long Island Rail Road / JFK AirTrain. The station is clearly marked so you can easily find the JFK AirTrain.

As you already know, you'll pay $5.00 supplement to ride the JFK AirTrain.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
206 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Archer Hotel New York
Archer Hotel New York
3,460 Reviews
New York City, NY
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

I just wanted to thank to all of the TA members for their help. I've stayed in NY alone and all the things you've told me have been very useful. I had no problems and had a great time. Americans are so funny and kind.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

Another option (more expensive than subway, less than taxi) is to take the bus:

www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=31

Enjoy!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

i am comnig to nyc in october. and unsure wheter to get the airtrain then metro. or take a taxi???

we will have 3 cases between the two of us, would be able to do it with the cases we have with us???

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

In order to give you the best advice about how to get where you are going, it really helps if you say what your destination is...

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

It would also be helpful to know whether you are arriving at JFK, Newark or LaGuardia (as you said you're coming from Buffalo in another thread).

It is difficult for us to tell you what is best for you. It is easiest for us to tell you what the options are, what we might do, and then let you decide what you think is best for yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
8. Re: From Penn Station to JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 05, 2009