We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

landing/take off from JFK

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
landing/take off from JFK

just wondering if anyone knows how the planes come into land/take off and if you ever get a good view of the city?

I know heathrow have 2 run ways and they take off and land in each direction at different times of the day.

I read somewhere before the left side of the aircraft was the best view, is this true?

we missed the view last time due to sitting in the middle seats as there was 4 of us but this time with BA we have pre reserved 2 rows of three on the side, but its the right side coming and going.

just would be nice to see the view and for the kids to see it!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: landing/take off from JFK

Although I have had some spectacular views landing/taking off from LaGuardia, I don't recall ever having more than a very distant view of Manhattan when landing/taking off from Kennedy. The LaGuardia and Newark flight paths are the ones that are closer to Manhattan.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: landing/take off from JFK

The flight patterns for JFK take you over Long Island and the ocean and are not that good for the New York skyline. On the other hand, LaGuardia planes sometimes come right up the Hudson River.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: landing/take off from JFK

cheers thanks for that, I wont worry about changing seats then!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: landing/take off from JFK

How about if your are coming from the LA direction?

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: landing/take off from JFK

PFK...Last year as we arrived in JFK we were sitting on the RHS as you face the front...we could see the top of the Chrysler glinting in the sun, and the outline of the ESB. It was the first time we'd ever seen it on landing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: landing/take off from JFK

bargain!!....not that I will see anything in the sun as we are landing about 8pm local time and taking off when we leave 10pm ish.....

hey ho just have to go over the brooklyn bridge for the view :O)

4 mths time and we will be in nyc....I am like a kid itching for its birthday or xmas now!

Maineville, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: landing/take off from JFK

the direction that aircraft take off / land depends on the wind direction.

they always take off / land in to the wind

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: landing/take off from JFK

PFK - If you are coming during the festive season, you should still have a look out the window during landing and takeoff. Even though you may not be able to see the skyscrapers of Manhattan, since it will be dark you may catch a glimpse of one of the outer NY neighborhoods that are really electrified during Christmas. I was flying in in the dark once and my eyes just about popped out of my head when I looked out the window as we flew in over one of these neighborhoods where every house seemed to have been turned into an electrified version of Santa's toyshop. Can't guarantee that will be your plane's path,but you never know.