We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYU hangouts/Bars

Kingston, Ontario
5 posts
Save Topic
NYU hangouts/Bars

What are the best NYU bars or pubs? I am staying in the area from Sept. 1-5 with a buddy.

Please advise

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYU hangouts/Bars

I can't really verify that these are NYU hangouts, as I'm old enough to be the mother of a college freshman (*sob!*), but these bars seem to be popular with college students and the "just graduated" crowd, and are close to NYU:

Off the Wagon - MacDougal Street bet. 3rd and Bleecker

Down the Hatch - W. 4th bet. 6th and 7th

Peculiar Pub - Bleecker Street and LaGuardia Place

Red Lion - Bleecker and Thompson

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYU hangouts/Bars

There are very few places that are considered NYU bars. You'll see students at various places but they usually don't congregate together that much. The students are more independent-minded than at most colleges and spend less time at huge college-oriented drinking holes.

That said, the places below, at least the first 3, are pretty much dominated by NYU students. Most of the students will be in the Greek system, which is a huge minority at NYU and looked down upon by many of the other students.

I would only recommend going to Josie Woods. Bar None and Finnerty's are terrible, awful, miserable, disgusting places to drink. I got sick of them only after a few months into my freshman year.

-Josie Woods (Waverly, off of Mercer): sometimes very NYU, other times not so much

-Bar None (3rd Ave and 11th or 12th Street): sweaty awful NYU hump fest, renamed Bar No Fun by those with self respect

-Finnerty's (3rd Ave and 12th or 13th Street): small, dingy, worst Guiness ever, NYU frat-boy hangout

-B Bar (Bleeker and the Bowery, aka 3rd Ave): trendy place that NYUers frequent but don't dominate

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYU hangouts/Bars

I like:

Swifts Hyberion Lodge (E 4th and Bowery) - right next to B-Bar

Thirsty Scholar (2nd Ave b/t 11th & 12th St) - happy hour 7 days a week from 2-8

Four Faced Liar - (W 4th St b/t 6th & 7th Ave)

Puck Fair - (Layfette & Houston)

All the above are Irish Pubs.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYU hangouts/Bars

I second the recommendations for Puck Fair and Swift's. Both are nice Irish pubs. Not sure how many NYU kids will be there, but you'll have a good time anyway. I think the same people own Ulysses, which is a bar down in the Financial District and has a great outdoor seating area.

Kingston, Ontario
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYU hangouts/Bars

Thanks to all, I will try to make to all mentioned.