We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

Hi all

My friend and I will be in NYC for NYE. We are wondering if it is worth the 7 hours in the cold for the festivities in Times Square, for that 'once in lifetime' experience.

As it is just the 2 of us I'm not sure if we would enjoy a club (we generally go clubbing in a bigger group), but if someone can make a suggestion for NYE that'd be great!!!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,085 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

If you are a first- timer then it is definitely an experience that you will remember. Finding a good location to hang out for a couple of hours is a must. I would recommend 7th or Bway in the upper 40's and 50's as you will at least have room to walk and get something to eat from Rays Pizza, Leones, or Mars 2112. The police like to have everyone corralled and security is tight. If you are a female they will let you stroll up to the ball and kiss it just about. It is a big party after the ball drops. I would buy tickets to a club online somewhere to have somewhere to go after that. If the temp is below 30 then it may be uncomfortable if you are not used to it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

thanks so much for replying.

We've never been to the States before and can't wait to see New York! Not long now... (we've been planning since January)

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

I would advise against it personally.

uk
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

What do most people do for dinner on christmas eve - can you book reservations for restuarants in times square like planet hollywood - or do you just try to get in anywhere you can?? also, i gather that we'll have to eat before 6:oo ish then to get a good spot??

uk
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

sorry - thats new years eve - not xmas!!! thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

Depends where you eat, but most places won't need reservations.

There's a Planet Hollywood in NYC? I thought that place went out of business. Hopefully.

Mentioned in this post
Planet Hollywood
Planet Hollywood
2,791 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boring topic - New Year's Eve!

Oh, I see you said restaurants in Times Square. I assume you'll definitely need reservations there, but I'd advise against eating in Times Square.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,085 Reviews
New York City, NY