We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

I am looking to have a happy hour with some friends (10 - 15 people) in New York city a few weeks before Christmas and we want to have it in a bar with lots of decorations and lots of Christmas spirit. Any suggestions?

A friend recommended Rolf's, but when I looked into it, it seems more of a restaurant with a little bar. We're looking for somewhere with more space. Please let me know if you know of any good places. Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

Tavern on the Green gets a lot of criticism for its food and service. But if you are only interested in just getting drinks (very important), then I would recommend this place especially during the holidays. It may be crowded since it's popular for corporate functions during this time. I've always enjoyed the decorations when I've gone.

www.tavernonthegreen.com/sploffers.asp…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

Thanks, but this might be a little high class for us. I was hoping to find a neighborhood bar or local pub with good drink specials, etc.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

Check out www.murphguide.com for pub listings by neighborhood/geographical area.

Most will be decorated for the holidays and after a few pints/cocktails will look like the most festive place you've been that night, if you get my drift.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

I strongly disagree. The bar area at TOTG is just awful and they won't let you sit in a dining room for just drinks. Not to mention the drinks cost a fortune.

What kind of budget are you looking at and do you intend on having any food? McCormick & Schmick's is a national chain, but they have a very good happy hour deal and a large bar.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

http://www.drinkdeal.com/home.aspx?cityid=1

nymag.com/urban/…bars.htm

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c51961/New-Yor…

East Village, New...
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

7B/Horseshoe Bar on 7th street and Avenue B is decorated nicely, with lots of lights. This is about as neighborhoody as you can get. Not expensive and this is a place they film lots of movies and TV shows. The trannie scene in Crocodile Dundee was here Godfather, Goodfellas and Rent were filmed here as well. They often film Law and Order here too.

…metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/…content

…citysearch.com/profile/…7b.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,237 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

Ive been out of town, so sort of blanking, but here are 2 ideas....

I havent been in years, but Pete's Tavern on Irving Place used to be nicely decorated for the holidays and could be the scene you're looking for. Old historic bar with dark wood - used to be a speakeasy. Neighborhood bar with after work crowd usually - not touristy at all.

There's also a place called Papillon on 54th between 5th and Madison with a huge bar area that is nicely decorated (we had our co Xmas party there 2 years ago) if you want more uptown/midtown location. Lots of beers on tap too.

New York
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

Bar 89 has changing art, and for Christmas, usually has an art instalation that is for the holiday. Drinks are expensive, but potent! (and the food is good!)

9. Re: Most festive NYC bar for Christmas themed happy hour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 16, 2009