We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Day 6 - Our last full day... Trying not to think about that, we headed along to Bryant Park with a view to seeing the library this time (although it wasn't to be, we clearly should learn to check opening hours....) and then Grand Central Station - what a building. We were both hugely impressed, the architecture itself is obviously lovely but it was more the combination of the building, the ceiling, the atmosphere and the fact that it's such a hub that made it fascinating. Spurred on by Gryff Rhys Jones we talked to each other across the whispering galleries - very cool.

We continued down to the UN (stopping to gaze at the Chrysler Building which I absolutely love) and took the public tour there: this was something we hadn't really intended to do but thought we may as well as we had time for it and it turned out to be really interesting. I'd been to the UN in Geneva previously and it was good to be able to compare the two. There was a session going on in the main chamber so we got to see some of that as well.

We grabbed some lunch at a pub on the way back to 5th Avenue and then up to MOMA, stopping first in the design store across the street. There was great excitement as we discovered they sold the brand of watches the boy was looking for although typically it proved to be too big a decision for that moment in time and we left 'thinking about it'... (Clearly just so we could go back there - his favourite shop - the next day...) MOMA was good although much of the photography section (the main attraction for us) was taken up with an exhibition on printing techniques. Not that it wasn't interesting but just not what we'd expected. Overall though it was very good.

Up to Central Park where we (finally!) managed to get our skates on and dazzle the crowds with our ice-dance routines. Or, in reality, spend half an hour trying not to fall flat on our faces in the presence of the eight year old figure skaters and ice hockey players whizzing past us... Such a beautiful location to do it though, we had to stop for a warm apple cider halfway through and the lights in the buildings were all starting to come on - just gorgeous. Really glad we persevered and managed to skate eventually as it was a total laugh if nothing else!

We headed back to the hotel to change for dinner (via the Hudson for a drink) as we had reservations at Gordon Ramsay at the London. This was, again, based on a friend's recommendation and was the only table we booked in advance. It was our last night and we wanted to make the most of it so got a taxi to the Plaza first of all for drinks. The main reason we wanted to go there (other than the fact that it's the Plaza!) was that a friend had got married there some years ago and we'd heard many tales of that trip. We had drinks in the Oak Bar which was really lovely, there was a pianist and the place was pretty much full so the atmosphere was great. Drinks were expensive (as expected) but it was a lovely place to go when we were all dressed up and a great start to the evening.

We walked from there to the London (passing the LOVE statue by chance) and were taken straight to our table. We loved it, from start to finish. We had the tasting menu which is 7 courses (plus amuse bouches and a choice from the bon bon trolley with coffee) and a nice bottle of red so suffice to say we practically rolled home a few hours later... highlights were the scallops with braised veal cheeks, the sablefish, the main courses in general (I had the duck and my boyfriend had the beef) and also the pumpkin panna cotta - but it was all excellent. Service was impeccable and while it's obviously an expensive night out, it was worth it and a lovely way to end our trip.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Day 7 - Well, we did have a few more hours to enjoy... Today was to be our shopping day so we started off at FAO Schwarz and then continued down 5th Avenue. We only had a couple of shops we really wanted to go into, namely Tiffany and - as expected - the MOMA design store, but we browsed in a couple of others. We had had a running joke ever since we booked our trip that if a boy takes a girl to New York, it's the law that he buys her something in a little blue and white box while they're there... The boy had been very good at going along with this at home and to be fair, didn't flinch at all when I excitedly pointed it out on our first day! Well I can't complain at all as I left with a beautiful diamond necklace which has been round my neck constantly since we got home and reminds me of our wonderful trip every time I touch it. Cheesy, but true. He also got the much-thought about watch in the MOMA shop so we both headed back to the hotel extremely happy.

A quick stop on Times Square for some 'I love NY' t-shirts (well, who doesn't buy them....) and then a final pizza at John's. We headed to the airport in our taxi exhausted, elated, refreshed and even more in love with your city than we'd expected to be. It was a fabulous trip and made even better by the tips, recommendations and advice provided in this forum, so thank you again for contributing to our amazing holiday.

PS - If anyone is interested the boy has put a few of the thousands of photos he took on his website - they're under the Travels section...

www.johnwaller.co.uk/#/content/Main%5FPage/

Montreal
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Wow! I loved your report and those photos are fantastic! Sounds like such a great trip.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

very much enjoyed reading your trip report! Glad you enjoyed your trip as much as you did! And those photos...wow, what great subjects you captured! Is "the boy" a photographer??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

I looked forward to reading your daily trip reports :) We will be in NYC for 6 days over xmas before heading to Toronto. Hopefully i'll be able to document our trip as well as you have and get some top shots like your bf (i'll be taking a trip to b&h very first thing to update my kit). Glad to hear you had a great time. Looks like a beautiful time of year to go.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

I have loved reading your trip report and waited in anticipation for the photo's and oh my god they were amazing and so worth the wait.

You sound like you have had an amazing trip and your boyf certainly knows how to take some brilliant pics.

3 more sleeps and we will be there!!!

Vicky

xx

smf
waterford Ireland
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Fantastic photos and trip report, thank you!

wales
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Great trip report, but those pictures are absolutely amazing!!

Do you sell those pics beacause there are a couple that i would definately be interested in!

Lincoln, UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Hi Waverley82,

Fantastic trip reports loved them all

Photos awsome. The boy has an eye for the best photo

shots. So pleased you had a perfect time. 17 days before our trip and counting

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Great trip reports. Your boyfriend certainly has an eye for photography, they are fantastic.

bq
Albany, Georgia
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Final Trip Report (Days 6 & 7 and pics)

Thanks for the great trip report and the fantastic

photos!