We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

Day 3 - Ate a quick muffin for breakfast at the Dean & Deluca in our hotel (very handy to have that so close incidentally) and then out to Times Square for our morning photo opportunity - by now we were in a bit of a routine which involved me standing with a coffee trying not to freeze while my boyfriend stood for 20 minutes every morning desperate to get the right light/traffic/people for the perfect shot ;-) It was, of course, worth it when he did though...!

We took the subway to Chambers Street and had a walk in the area around the World Financial Centre, there were lovely views across the water (including the Statue of Liberty in the distance) and also liked the winter garden. We also walked round a bit of the World Trade Centre site, in some ways it felt like it was wrong of us, a couple of tourists on their holidays, to be there but then at the same time it is of course a living, working area. Construction is underway and it was interesting to read about the plans for the new development. We passed a fire station on Liberty Street which had a bent and battered street sign on display as well as a memorial to the firemen from that station who died in the attack - that was extremely moving. We also went into St Paul's Chapel which was really interesting and again very moving. Obviously we're all aware of and have seen the media images of what happened in the immediate aftermath of the towers coming down and the amazing job done by the rescue workers but I hadn't ever thought in any detail about the role of the many volunteers supporting them.

After St Paul's we popped into Century 21 as I wanted to buy some sunglasses (the weather while we were there was exceptionally cold but lovely, bright sunny winter days which was just perfect). My word, never again... How anyone can spend longer than 5 minutes in that place is beyond me... I'm sure there are some bargains to be had but it was just so busy and untidy! Didn't buy anything in the end.

We then walked along Broadway to Wall Street and the Stock Exchange, we both found this whole area really interesting, I think because we've spent time working in the City in London and it was cool to see how the two financial areas compare. Have to admit though, it made a nice change not to be one of the people running for a quick sandwich on their lunch break... We had lunch in a bar nearby and then headed across to Bowling Green to see the Charging Bull, very impressive and love the fact the artist just dumped it in secret in the middle of the night! Then on to the Staten Island Ferry - amazing views.

Back to Times Square on the subway and bought tickets at the TKTS booth for Avenue Q - we had talked about maybe seeing a show but had no 'must sees' so decided to be spontaneous and if it fitted in, great. In the end we went for Avenue Q as I thought the boy would enjoy that more than a 'regular' musical and great choice as it was absolutely hilarious, we both loved it, bought the CD and have been singing the songs pretty much constantly since we got home!

Before it started we had time for a quick drink at The View (again I wouldn't have known about this at all if not for this site) and a bite to eat - I won't say where as I will (quite understandably) get shot down in flames but suffice to say we were hungry, in Times Square and just needed some quick food...

After the musical we had had great plans of going to a piano bar but in the end we were just shattered and headed straight back to the hotel, incidentally this scenario was repeated every night for the rest of the week and I'm sorry to say we never ever made it to our piano bar - but hey, it's as good a reason as any to come back!

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
979 posts
98 reviews
1. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

Hi!

There's always a good excuse to go back;)

M

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

" by now we were in a bit of a routine which involved me standing with a coffee trying not to freeze while my boyfriend stood for 20 minutes every morning desperate to get the right light/traffic/people for the perfect shot "

LOL, I've put many a loved one through that. Bless you for being such a good sport. Your BF is a luck man.

" I won't say where as I will (quite understandably) get shot down in flames but suffice to say we were hungry, in Times Square and just needed some quick food... "

Um, did it involve endless breadsticks and Italian cuisine just like Mama used to make? Did you "feel like family"?

Or, were you "Lovin' It!"?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

QB - LOL, well we didn't know that tagline at the time but I think we 'felt like family'....

And once again, I do apologise... ;-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

Hi not read all your reports yet but will do. What and where is the View?

What memory stands out most for you-highlight?

Good report!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
198 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

The View is a revolving restaurant/bar at the top of the Marriot Marquis hotel on Times Square. You go up in an express lift and I gather they do buffet-style food although we just went up for drinks. As suggested by the name, they views are great!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

Thanks will check it out-was it formal or can you pop in dressed casual for a drink

Sheena

7. Re: Best Holiday Ever - Trip Report (Day 3)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, October 15, 2009