We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to NYC New Year's Weekend

Boca Raton, FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to NYC New Year's Weekend

I will be in NYC with my children (5,7,9) for New Year's Weekend. Our plan is to go in City, after LGA arrival Thur. Hoping to see Ground Zero, Maybe little Italy, and then head to Empire State Building or Rockfellers Center - Shops. Could I get specific traveling ideas or itnerary.

Would like a nice dinner someplace to? Can we drive in, park, and then travel by subway - if so how? Would like to see Grand Central too and maybe Central Park. We will be staying in North Jersey. Any suggestions for a nice place for New Year's Day dinner or somewhere in the NJ/NY surrounding area?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to NYC New Year's Weekend

Your post is not terribly clear. I think you're staying in NJ so you're renting a car? If you want to find parking, go to iconparking.com. Not sure where to tell you to park. From LGA you will be entering the city on the east side but if you're going to NJ, you'll be leaving on the west side. Maybe best bet would be to park midtown west along 10th or 11 ave. in the 40s or 50s. These lots are cheaper and you'll be near the Lincoln tunnel to leave the city. If I don't understand your plan, please correct me. You must make sure your luggage is locked not in view in the trunk though.

You need to explain more of what you want for help. What sort of budget for restaurants. Where exactly are you staying?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to NYC New Year's Weekend

Have been thinking about your post. Here's the subway map

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

It will also provide links to a bus map.

Since you're staying in northern NJ, you probably will want to take the George Washington bridge there which is all the way on the upper west side. The things you've requested seeing are downtown (Ground Zero, little Italy), midtown (Empire State Building, Rock Ctr., Grand Central, Central Park, shops). It's unclear whether you're trying to do this in one day or several. You also don't say when you want to do this would could affect things (matinee days, weekends etc.)

In general, I'd still suggest parking on the west side perhaps in the 50s along 10th or 11 ave. I'd take a crosstown bus to Fifth Ave. on either 50 st or 57 st, whichever is closer to where you park. At 50th st and Fifth you're at Rockefeller Center with Saks Fifth Ave and St Patrick's cathedral across the street. Make sure to see the light show at Saks which goes every 15 mins or so. Then walk north passing shops like Henri Bendel Tiffany, Bergdorf Goodman. You'll get to the Plaza hotel at 59 st also the newly opened FAO Schwartz. Central Park will be right there. I'd then walk east toward Lexington ave. where you'll find Bloomingdales but also Dylan's Candy Bar which the kids will love. Then walk back toward Fifth Ave. On Fifth I'd take a bus down Fifth ave. to 40 st. to see the windows at Lord & Taylor. Then the Empire State building is at the corner of Fifth & 34 st. You might buy tickets to the ESB online before you go to save standing in one line (you'll still have to wait in line for the elevator).

I honestly think you don't need to go all the way downtown to see Ground Zero. I won't elaborate. Little Italy is also not IMO a "must see" if this is a one day trip. If any of the kids are girls, The American Girl doll store is at Rock Center and you should try to stop there. There's an indoor ferris wheel at Toys R Us in Times Square which I think the kids would like. Times Square will be more enjoyable for the kids and within a walk from Fifth Ave. So for just a one day "here's NYC" I'd suggest staying midtown. Do Fifth Ave. then over to Lexington, then down Fifth. After the ESB walk or ride over to Times Square. Have something to eat. Virgil's BBQ has great ribs. Ruby Foos has Chinese/Japanese, John's pizzeria has great pizza in a converted church. Then head over to your car and head uptown where you can get the westside highway which will lead you to the GW bridge.

For New Year's day dinner, there are a number of good restaurants in Weehawken NJ that have views of the NY skyline that might be nice for you although there may also be something closer to where you're staying. Chowhound.com is a website with "foodies". If you go there and ask about places near where you'll be, you may find some gems.

I will also mention there are ferries from NJ to NYC in Weehawken and Jersey City. You could also visit the Ellis Island Immigration museum and the Statue of Liberty from the Jersey side without going into NY. Hope you have a great holiday.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to NYC New Year's Weekend

Yikes, you do say when. NYE weekend. OK. If you're arriving on NY Eve, the Friday, what I've suggested is still fine BUT do Times Square FIRST after dropping off the car. Go to Toys R US. Then head over to Fifth Ave. and do all that. Maybe try to eat at Serendipity which is near Dylan's Candy. Then head back to your car and try to get out of the city by 6 or 7. The shops will probably close around 5.