We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway travel pass

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Subway travel pass

Can you but a 5 day pass for the subway? Also how safe is the subway to use these days?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway travel pass

You can get a 1 day or 7 day metro card or or pay per ride. Here's the info

www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

Very safe, but don't tempt fate like riding at 4am in a marginal area.

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway travel pass

thanks for that. The 7 day pass seems good value for money.

Once again thanks.

north wales
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway travel pass

hi

i have just returned from nyc and the subway is fine to use once you get the hang of it knowing whether you going uptown or downtown helps it is $7 for an unlimited travel day pass dont know about 5day but a 3day pass is $21 and you can top them up hope this helps

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway travel pass

a 7 day unlimited pass is 21 dollars, so if the 3 day is the same price it's not worth it lol. but the pay per ride is expensive, 2 dollars a ticket i think.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway travel pass

Nic, could you be talking about 3 1day passes ?

Cause no where does it say a 3 day pass exists.

Only 1, 7 or 30 day passes and I must say the 7 day pass at 21 dollars is a bargain.

Btw, the underground tickets in London are even more expensive at 1.5 pounds, buses are cheaper however.

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway travel pass

denperrt - My daughter and I found the subway very easy to figure out, and always felt very safe. However, we didn't venture out of Manhattan, and didn't ride at night, so I can't say how that would be. Good luck!

7. Re: Subway travel pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 pm, June 13, 2005
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway travel pass

Many different multi-day pass options available. All cheap.

The NYC subway system is remarkable. Very effecient and easy to use.

As for safety, I ride the subway commuting to work 5 days a week about an hour each day and have been doing so for a few years. Never an issue, never scared or uncomfortable. Late, Late night may be a bit different, but by late I mean 2+ am. Remeber even 11,12, 1, still tons of students and younings going boozin around town. Its very ethnicaly mixed.

You WILL see many homeless people and several panhandlers, begging and telling you thier sad tale. Don't be shocked. Pickpocketing isn't a huge problem but do not take chances. Taxi's are never a bad option if you are spliting with other people.

Good Luck,

KC

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway travel pass

Thankyou all for your replys.

REL
Montclair, NJ, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway travel pass

You should plan on how often you are planning to use the subway/bus daily to where are you going?

The 1 day only benefits you if you have more than 4 trips in a single day.

The 7 day only benefits you if you exceed 10 one way trips.

Additionally, you may not know this but the MetroCard offers a bus/subway combination within a two hour period - so if you are heading uptown for lunch - it is possible to take the subway uptown , eat lunch and use the subway downtown.

The subway is EXTREMELY safe and usually crowded. Be weary on platforms (occasional pickpocket if you look like a tourist) and avoid the unpredictable homeless. Otherwise, you should see soo many other tourist and regular commuters it will be a breeze. Additionally, people are usually helpful so feel free to ask aloud how to get to your destination as someone will gladly offer assistance.