We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat on the upper west

Coventry UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat on the upper west

I have lists and lists of info and have become both lazy and running out of time - Can anyone give me a quick list of nice places to eat on the Upper West in the evenings that are both

cheap, moderate and upscale please??!!

(Voyagereuse your post was wonderful but didn;t show areas I started to go through it and ran out of time although I am sure we will pass some on our travels!).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

Upper West Side

Isabellas

Nice Matin

Northwest

All with good food and reasonable.

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

I enoyed Coppolas on W.79th. Italian. Their menu is on www.menupages.com

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

If you like live jazz, try Cleopatra's Needle, 92nd and Broadway. There is no cover charge, only the requirement that you spend $10 per person. Music is performed from 8 p.m to 1 a.m. Look at their webpage: www.cleopatrasneedleny.com--it will show who's playing on what night. I recommend doing that because some nights are open mike nights. If you decide to have dinner there, be sure and make a reservation. The food is not expensive--less than $20 per entree. Just note that the food is mediocre, at best but the music is great. If you want to listen to music but just have a drink, you can sit at the bar.

Coventry UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!

Only 2 days for me to go now!!!!!...............::)))

x

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

Hi Mandymac

My boyfried & I visited NYC earlier this year and enjoyed Ouest (http://www.ouestny.com/) - You can book through opentable.com (reservation is confirmed straight away by email)

The restaurant is located on Broadway & 84th (is is close to Cafe Lalo - so you could go there for coffee afterwards - Lalo was featured in the film "you've got mail") The food at Ouest was v good esp the desserts were great!

If you decide to go - when you book as for one of the Booths (red leather - v cool)

The bar at the front of the Restaurant in quite intimate & has the feel of a locals kind of place and they serve killer martinis!

The service was good but not too intrusive - you can view the menu online.

Have a great time (I travel to NYC again on the 16th Dec & can't wait!)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

I haven't been to Ouest but I keep hearing wonderful reports. Nice Matin also gets high marks. For an inexpensive meal, City Grill, on Columbus between 72nd-73rd Sts., is good for burgers, salads, and basic "comfort food." Nearby, on Columbus and 71st St., is Penang, a popular Malaysian (wonderful fried ice cream). Across from Penang, on 71st just east of Columbus, is a terrific Turkish restaurant, Pasha. I go with friends and skip the entrees, just order every appetizer and every dessert. Good neighborhood Chinese on Columbus at Hunan Park. And down a few blocks is Aegean, a pretty good neighborhood Greek restaurant. I like Pappardella, an Italian restaurant on Columbus at 75th St. And every now and then I need a fix of Cuban... and when I do I go to one of the last remaining Cuban-Chinese places, La Caridad, on the corner of Broadway and 78th St. Wonderful overly garlicky roast pork, sweet plantains, yucca, yellow rice & beans, etc.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

Mandy make sure on your reuturn you give a full trip report. And I hope your baby has a lovely first birthday.

Intrested to know if you go to the polars bears.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

Here's a few more to add to the mix...

Barney Greengrass, deli, 541 Amsterdam Ave. Have a good old fashioned NY breakfast of bagels and lox here.

Beard Papa's, 2167 Broadway, Japanese Cream Puffs

Big Nick's, 24/7 cheap eats joint. 70 W. 71st, Hungry at 3 am? Big Nick's has burgers, pizza, and great shakes and they deliver!

Jackson Hole, for burgers, 517 Columbus Ave.

Coventry UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

More thank you's to you all from me - we won't starve that's for sure LOL!!!!

I'll be sure to post a report Sharon, thanks for the birthday wishes, hope you have a great trip too I'll look forward to reading your report. LJN you you arrive the day after we do so I know what you mean about the excitement!

Thanks as always to Bettina and Voyagereuse.

Just doing a bit of ironing and some packing now !!!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat on the upper west

Bettina---Please tell me more about La Caridad. Years ago, there was a Cuban-Chinese restaurant in Flushing that my Dad liked to go to and took me there once. I walked by La Caridad one night, but, alas, had already eaten dinner. On this page, there are links for other pages where people posted their opinions on La Caridad. It seems to get a mixed review--someone even said that they got sick eating there! Others seemed to think that it's improving after going downhill for years. Have you eaten there lately? I ask because, I'm thinking of trying it next time I'm in the city.