We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a first birthday

Coventry UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on a first birthday

Hi - My itinerary formy babies first birthday has gone slightly awry!

I wanted the Xmas city spectacular but this is now booked for the Monday. I wanted lunch at the River Cafe but this is now booked for the Saturday! It seems that a trip on horse and carriage thru central park is now a waste of time - my only consolation is that I have managed to get the ESB tickets online (if it is a clear day!!)

Any suggestions on what to do on such a special day will be most kindly welcomed although I am sure that the whole week will be special!

Many thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a first birthday

You don't actually say what day (of the week) is the special day but there's PLENTY to do that would be far more special for a one year old than the Xmas Spectacular IMO.

The carousel in Central Park, the zoo in the park with the polar bears etc. The Big Apple Circus.

Santa meets the Ice Dragon is a musical show in your neighborhood at the Beacon theater (I think you're staying at the Beacon Hotel). Here's the write up from NY Mag.

Santa Meets the Ice Dragon

Bob McGrath of Sesame Street and a 21-foot-tall Ice Dragon star in this holiday musical, a cross between Hans Christian Andersen and Disney meant to embody the tradition of the Christmas spirit. Lively dance and music by the American Symphony Orchestra appeal to children and adults alike.

��� December 10-28.

��� Beacon Theatre, 2124 Broadway, at 74th St.; 212-496-7070.

��� $35-$80; tickets available at box office or ticketmaster

There is a children's museum I think I've mentioned to you that's actually near your hotel. http://www.cmom.org/exhibits/index.html

It's at 212 west 83 st open Wed-Sun.

And let's not forget visiting Santa at one of the stores. What about going to FAO Schwartz which is now reopened. Or Toys R Us in Times Square for a ride on the indoor ferris wheel. NYC is a kid's wonderland all the time but particularly now.

Coventry UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a first birthday

thanks NYWhiz - I did think that spending half or even a full day at Central Park would be magical but it all depends on the weather which we won't know till we are there - snow and ice are fine they will add to the atmosphere but if it is chucking it down with rain as well it may not be quite as delightful, and I didn't want to waste it by spending it in the stores in inclement weather!

The zoo there sounds brilliant I didn't realise they had polar bears (I will get my map of the park once we arrive to see what is there) and I think there is a puppet /marionette show somewhere in the park too. Santa meets the Ice dragon sounds great I will check that out too. How can I find info about the Big apple Circus?

I was planning on visiitng the toy shops and xmas grottos in the evenings so the lights will shine even more brightly, but to be quite truthful I think we may go a few times - on reflection even the Rockafella Centre sounds like a hell of a way to spend a day.

We will have a ball somewhere that is for sure!

Thanks once again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a first birthday

The zoo is great for kids. I love the polar bears :). Here's a map.

gonyc.about.com/od/maps/l/blcentralpark.htm

You'll see the zoo is on the east side near 66 st.

I don't think there are any puppet shows in winter.

Here's the website for the Big Apple Circus

http://www.bigapplecircus.org/TheShow/

Once again, it's on the upper west side (near Lincoln Center).

I should have also mentioned I don't think the carriage ride is a lost cause. I think one person had a bad experience. These things have been going forever. Here's what the website says about prices etc. I think some of the drivers may "try on" another price.

"The carriages can be found lined up along Central Park South (59th Street) between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, at the southern end of Central Park across from the Plaza Hotel. Rides cost $34 for the first 20 minutes and $54 for a 45 to 50 minute tour.�� Call Central Park Carriages at 212-736-0680 for more information or click on��http://www.centralparkcarriages.com