We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions plus "outskirts of NYC" lodging?

Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Directions plus "outskirts of NYC" lodging?

We are planning on driving to NYC next week and Mapquest estimates an 8 1/2 hour drive.

We will be coming from Canada down the I-81S to I-80 to I-280E, etc. (as outlined by Mapquest) I'm wondering if anyone with any driving experience on this route could tell me if this is indeed the most direct and has the "best" highways to take to NYC?

We are hoping to leave home in the morning and to get within an hour or so of NYC that day. Can anyone recommend a good place/area to stay for that "pre-NYC" night?

We would like to arrive in Manhattan by 10am - 10:30am the next morning to get a "jump" on our sightseeing. With rush hour as it is (this will be a weekday morning) are we just kidding ourselves?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I actually called the hotel we are booked in and unfortunately they are fully booked the day before we are scheduled to arrive so it isn't an option to simply arrive there a day early.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions plus "outskirts of NYC" lodging?

Planningatrip!,

I don't know which part of Canada you live, but when we drove from NY to Montreal & Quebec, we just followed the routes suggested by Mapquest. The directions worked just fine.

Are you driving through up state NY (i.e. Route 87 South) or CT (I95 South)? if you drive through NY, Tarrytown would be a nice town to stay. There are nice hotels and restaurants in Tarrytown. If you are coming from CT, Stamford or Greenwich would be a nice place to stay. Stamford has nice hotels and restaurants, and is bigger than Greenwich. Greenwich is a smaller town, but is very pretty.

Wherever you stay, you will hit the heavy traffic in the morning on weekdays unless you start driving something like 6:00am. It takes 30-45 minutes without traffic from Tarrytown/Stamford/Greenwich to Manhattan, and another ?? minutes within Manhattan. If you leave your hotel after 7:00am, it may take over 1-2 hours, depending on where you really drive.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions plus "outskirts of NYC" lodging?

I have driven to Canada and back using I87 - pretty drive. I think you should get into Manhattan earlier to avoid traffic. I know you wont be able to check in, but they will take your bags for you and you can go do whatever.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions plus "outskirts of NYC" lodging?

Yeah, I agree with lddev. You may want to consider finding another hotel in Manhattan, instead of "pre-NYC" place, unless you can start driving around 6am. Driving into NYC in the evening would be far much easier than driving in the morning during weekdays.