We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

Is there any benefit to leaving for the City (GCT) from Stamford rather than New Haven? We're leaving Sat. a.m. and returning Sunday p.m.

Also, on the return: Our friends think it's faster to take the train from the City into Stamford and then drive into central CT from Stamford than it would be to ride into New Haven and drive from there.

What do you think? I've only ever ridden in from New Haven, never saw the point of driving further than I had to on 91 and 95.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

I try to avoid Interstate 95 at all costs. I've taken the train between New Haven and Grand Central a number of times, it is fast and it is very comfortable. What would the advantage of driving to Stamford be? I see the risk of traffic jams and delays, it will be much more difficult to plan for what train you'll catch. The express trains come from New Haven (they stop in Stamford and then run express into NYC) and you wouldn't want to get one of the Stamford Local trains if you can get the express.

Why spend the money on gas and take the risk of getting stuck in traffic when you know the train at New Haven is a sure bet.

The other options are Amtrak and the option of Metro-North from Waterbury. I think Metro-North is the fastest, most reliable, most cost-effective and the most comfortable.

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

Here are some advantages of taking the train from New Haven: There are lots of empty seats when you get on the train to choose from-which means less of a chance that you'll have to ride backwards and more of a chance that you can all sit together, you spend less time driving to the station and therefore more time relaxing on the train instead of fighting traffic and on the way home when a fabulous trip might have you all worn out, you will not have to drive as far to get home!

The only problem I've had with New Haven is on a couple of occasions the lot right at the station has been full and then parking is an issue. The past few trips we've left nice and early and haven't had any problems. Just my two cents, have a great time no matter what you decide!

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

Oops, I see moreFFmiles was posting at the same time. Sorry to cover some of the same points. One thing to mention, I don't believe there are express trains on the weekend but I could be wrong. The nice thing is that they are all considered off peak!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

No worries. The weekend trains run express from Stamford to NYC (they originate in New Haven). There are local trains serving the Westchester County communities.

There aren't any trains on the weekend that skip stations like Westport and South Norwalk

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

fg - we always take the train from New Haven - lots of empty seats and usually on the weekend parking is not man issue - if the station parking is full there is a garage across the street - however weekends don't have all the commuters clogging up the lot so you should be OK.

I also try to avoid 95 - go from NH - and have fun.

Poppa

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

Hi Everybody and Thanks: We Always leave from NH. I love the train ride in from New Haven and have no desire to drive on 95.

On the return to CT on Sunday: The couple we're traveling with has to be back earlier on Sunday than we do. They think it will take less time (and there will be more trains) to get into Stamford and then drive home from Stamford. This just doesn't make sense to me.

I think I'm going to ask them to just meet us in the City around mid-afternoon after lunch and after they arrive from wherever they've left from.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

<<< The weekend trains run express from Stamford to NYC (they originate in New Haven).>>>

Do they also run express from GCT to Stamford on Sundays? Then they just continue into New Haven..is it a "milk run" from Stamford to N.Haven on Sunday?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

There is a way to pull up the full system timetable. You need to have Adobe Acrobat on your PC however I think most PCs have it.

mta.info/mnr/…nhSS_408.pdf

From New York, it looks like there is a 4:34, 5:34 and 6:34 train on weekend afternoons, these trains are in addition to the hourly trains at :07 every hour. The trains at :34 stop only at Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, So. Norwalk, Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford and New Haven.

A random look at the 12:07 and 1:07 trains show that Stamford is the first stop, then there are ten stops between Stamford and New Haven. It takes less than two hours, the trains move very fast. It is a pretty ride along the shore line and across the bridges.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

Thanks FFmiles. I've sent on your link. Most helpful.

10. Re: Train Stations: New Haven vs. Stamford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 10, 2009