We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essex street market

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
36 reviews
Essex street market

I'll be staying in Chinatown (close to Bowery) and since I have a free morning before boarding a cruise I was looking to where to go and found this Essex street market. Has anyone been there? Any thougths on if it's worthwhile to spend a couple of hours there?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,292 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,493 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Essex street market

It's a food market. As a visitor, I'm not sure what interest it would hold unless you just want to have a look.

www.essexstreetmarket.com/merchants.html

Depending on what day of the week you're here, there are a lot of other options I'd consider before doing this. What about doing a tour at the Tenement Museum?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: Essex street market

Roni-Sue's chocolates are the only reason to go to the Essex Market. Why don't you walk over the Manhattan Bridge? Great views of lower Manhattan and of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's always a few degrees colder up there, so bundle up if it's cold.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Essex street market

I agree that the Essex Street Market is not something I'd go far out of my way for, but if you do go, Shopsin's is something of a foodie mecca for breakfast (he has a book deal even though the place has maybe 10 seats) and Saxelby Cheesmonger has a great, albeit small, selection of cheeses. An article that may be of interest:

www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/dining/06esse.html

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Essex street market

I guess I'll look something else to do. May be just walking around Chinatown. As for a tour at the Tenement Museum I'm already booked for Piecing it Together and from what I heard, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the replies,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,353 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Essex street market

I went out of my way for that market on Labor Day weekend and Roni Sue's and the cheese shop from Boston were the only things that really impressed me (oh the pig candy!!!). forgot Shopsin's is there....

If you're going to the Tenement Museum, or Altman luggage, you might as well stop in - but not worth a special trip.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Essex street market

I'd def explore the area of the Lower East Side for sure, just not Essex Street Market in particular.

Walk around Orchard Street and buy some last minute snacks and sweets at Economy Candy (on Rivington), Babycakes, Russ & Daughters smoked fish, Kossar's Bialys, Yonah Schmimmel's knishes, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, and Gus's Pickles!

www.lowereastsideny.com

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Essex street market

Tks people, I guess I got: just a stop and go.

8. Re: Essex street market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 10, 2009