We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to book tickets???

Preston UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Where to book tickets???

We are travelling to NYC at the end of January and we are staying on East 40th Street. We hope to do all the "touristy" bits and keep ourselves really busy for the five nights and just sleep and recover when we get home!! I am just trying to sort things out, and would like to book as many tickets on the internet before travelling, can anybody help with the below :

1. Grayline 2 day bus tour, 2. Empire State Building, 3. Statten Island Ferry, 4. Statue of Liberty, 5. Helicopter Ride, 6. New York Knicks game, 7. The Lion King, 8. Carriage ride and Ice Skating in Central Park 9. UN Head quarters.

Also should I be making reservations for evening meals in late January?? Any help re the above will be really appreciated. Many Thanks Mounty.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to book tickets???

Lion King--- Very popular show, order your tickets NOW... go to playbill.com and click on Broadway shows then on Lion King and you will get ticket ordering info.

Dinner reservations... Totally depends on where you are dining. Also, some places will not accept reservations more than 30 days in advance.

For a few certain NYC restaurants such as Per Se (Thomas Keller's NYC French Laundry outpost), Asiate, Balthazar, Babbo, and Peter Luger's you have to make a reservation. Probably River Cafe also. The good news is that both Per Se and River Cafe can be reserved on opentable.com. The bad news is that the others cannot, you have to call them directly and will want to do so exactly 30 days in advance of your reservation. A pain in the neck? Yep. So it depends on how badly you want to dine at any of those places.

Otherwise, the season you are traveling isn't as busy and you will have decent luck with many places, other than the ones I mentioned above, on short notice. You can make reservations on opentable.com and always change them if need be.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,385 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to book tickets???

Mounty, in my opinion (others may disagree) the only tickets you need to book in advance are the Empire State builiding, the theater, the Knick if you care about where you sit and the Statue of Liberty if you want a special tour. I don't think there's any benefit to getting the Grayline tickets ahead of time (and I'm not a fan of their 2 day deal where you have to run around like crazy to get it all in in 2 days but that's another story). However, if you do get those tickets I think it includes the Empire State building. You should double check. You can't book the ice rink in advance, no reason to book a carriage ride in advance. Someone else took a helicopter ride near the South Street Seaport and booked just on the spot. If you reserve ahead of time, what happens if it's bad weather when you;re booked. I'm not sure about the UN. No advance needed for Staten Island ferry.

So here's the websites you need.

For Lion King or any theater, you'll find links from playbill.com

http://www.graylinenewyork.com/

http://empirestatebuilding.com/index2.cfm

http://www.un.org/tours/pages/gi.htm

http://aol.nba.com/knicks/

us-parks.com/statue_of/plan_your_visit.html

You should reserve for dinner at special restaurants (ie the River Cafe or any place like that) and certainly for weekend dinners and for any place popular before or after theater.

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to book tickets???

From your list, the only events you truly should purchase tickets for in advance are Lion King and the Knicks.

The Knicks play at Madison Square Garden and tickets can be purchased for individual games. Go to thegarden.com, click on the knicks schedule, see if they have any home games when you will be in town and order tickets. The site will also provide a seating chart. You can also get tickets via ebay and at Stubhub.com, both of which sell tickets held by season ticket holders and corporations which may not be using tickets for specific games. Stubhub offers a seating chart. I don't know about Ebay. You can also try Ticketron or Ticketmaster, each of which might have Knicks tickets. Keep in mind that really good seats against a popular opponent can easily run $250 per ticket. Keep in mind that given recent events at NBA games, you may not want to be too close to the court.

All of the rest you mentioned can usually be obtained once you are here.