We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whitney museum or moma?

new orleans, la
7 posts
Save Topic
whitney museum or moma?

I have a limited time next week in NYC, but am interested in seeing another art museum (I went to the Met last time and loved it!). I've heard the Whitney, while smaller, has less crowds than Moma and can be a nice alternative.

Any opinions?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whitney museum or moma?

There are a number of wonderful smaller museums. The trick is to pick one that has an exhibit(s) that interests you. Suggest you check the website http://www.whitney.org/exhibition/index.shtml

I personally prefer the Frick (but it's not modern, it's classical) Look at their website

frick.org

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: whitney museum or moma?

The Whitney, whose full name is I believe the Whitney Museum of American Art, focuses on American art, mostly modern American art.

Moma, the Museum of Modern Art, focuses on modern art, but it is an international collection with works by artists from all countries (with lots of Europeans -- Picasso, Matisse, Cezanne,etc.)

If you really care a lot about art and have a preference, then you should follow your preference -- even, in the case of Moma, if it means fighting crowds.

But if you don't have a strong preference and just want to spend a quiet afternoon in a nice museum, then you might want to consider a place like the Whitney. Note that you could very easily stroll 6 or 7 bocks down Madison Avenue from the Whitney, turn right, and you'd be at the Frick. That would be a nice combination.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: whitney museum or moma?

With limited time, I would recommend the Whitney over MOMA. Also, though it is not modern art, the Frick is a gem because the art is the original owner's in the 5th Avenue residence that they lived in.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,008 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whitney museum or moma?

I was at the MOMA yesterday and walked through a good exhibit if about 80 paintings comparing Cezanne and Pisarro (not Picasso). I didn't use an audio machine and comfortably got through it in an hour. It's on the 6th floor, but on the 5th there are works by many of the people working in Paris at the beginning of the last century; Arp, Brancusi, Picasso (not Pisarro), one Gerald Murphy which I have been wanting to see, one [Man] Ray-o-graph, works of the DADAists, etc, etc. A very nice collection of work. This took another hour. Admission ia $20.00.

Pjk

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whitney museum or moma?

Here's another plug for the Frick. The setting in the mansion of Henry Clay Frick along with its excellent collection make it my favorite museum in NYC.

Be sure to watch the short film in the auditorium - it gives a nice overview of Frick.

A side note - a good read is Prison Memoirs of an Anarchist, by Alexander Berkman. He is the man who tried to assassinate Frick.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whitney museum or moma?

We like the Whitney because we're big Edward Hopper fans and they always have several of his paintings on display. One of these days we'll hit it right and visit the Whitney when they have a big exhibit of his works! Otherwise, the Whitney is smaller and costs less than MOMA. In the basement, there is a snack bar and a Sarabeth's restaurant. I agree with the other posters about the Frick. It's an easy walk from the Whitney and well worth seeing. We were surprised to find that the Frick has the original famous Gilbert Stuart painting of George Washington.

new orleans, la
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: whitney museum or moma?

I think I'm sold on Frick now....thanks for all the advice...sounds like I might be able to combine the Whitney and Frick on the same day. Again, thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: whitney museum or moma?

Well this is another thread so dependant on personal taste and interest.

For what it's worth, MOMA is considered by many to have the best collection of modern masterpieces in the world, it houses such important works as Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon by Pablo Picasso, a Water Lilies triptych by Claude Monet, Dance by Henri Matisse, The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dalí, The Bather by Paul Cézanne, Self-Portrait With Cropped Hair by Frida Kahlo, Broadway Boogie Woogie by Piet Mondrian, and works by leading American artists such as Jackson Pollock, Jasper Johns, Edward Hopper, Andy Warhol, and Chuck Close. MoMA developed a world-renowned art photography collection, first under Edward Steichen and then John Szarkowski. MoMA also has an important design collection.

The Whitney on the other hand is continually criticized for it's rather unfocused and quirky Biennial selections.

IMO the $20 for MOMA is money well-spent.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: whitney museum or moma?

My suggestion - make a quick trip back in mid-January when the crowds are (usually) smaller and see MOMA.

JetBlue flies non-stop between JFK and New Orleans and has great fares!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: whitney museum or moma?

SueFee - I believe there are several original Gilbert Stuart portraits of George Washington.