We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

New Baltimore...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

We are taking a cruise in October leaving from the Manhattan cruise port. Which airport should we fly into: JFK or LGA? The price and times are the same? Karen

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

LGA is slightly closer to Manhattan than JFK. Newark (EWR) is also an option. Pick the time/flight/airline that is best for you. Will you need to stay in a hotel for a night? Prices are very high for Oct.

New Baltimore...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

I should have added that the price and times to fly into each airport is the same. I am concerned with taxi rates and time to/from each airport. Also, what are toll rates and do I pay them from each aiport to get to the pier? Is there another, economical or easier way to get to the cruise port besides the taxi? Thanks, Karen

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

Taxi from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is $45 plus toll and tip or about $60 and takes about an hour.

Taxi from LGA is "on the meter" so traffic and time of day will affect price, but is $25-40 and takes about 30-45 mins. If you arrive in rush hour, ordering a car service like

dial7.com

gives you a fixed price.

There's public transportation from both. You can take an express bus to Port Authority bus terminal for $15/person from JFK or $12/person from LGA. But you'd then need to walk or get a taxi to the cruise terminal, not that far (about 1 mile) but a trek with luggage.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

New Baltimore...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

Thank you so much. You answered my questions perfectily. That is just what I needed to know. Karen

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

Also note that the tolls for bridges and tunnels across the East River from Queens to Manhattan are not included in the fare from JFK or LGA. They are added separately, based upon whether you use a toll crossing (such as the Triborough Bridge or the Midtown Tunnle) or a free crossing (such as the Queensborough Bridge.)

6. Re: JFK or LGA closer to Manhattan cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 08, 2009