We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beauty & the Beast

SUFFOLK, U.K
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Beauty & the Beast

Having watched the Disney adaptation of Beauty & the beast lots with our kids, my wife & I considered getting tickets for the broadway show when we visit NYC in September.

Has anyone seen the show recently and offer advice whether it is worth it - Spamalot and Wicked get loads of good reviews on this site and I wonder if they may be a better bet.

Thanks in advance!

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beauty & the Beast

Beauty and the Beast is a wonderful children's production. It stays pretty true to the movie version. Unless you are travelling with your children, I would opt for something more adult. Spamalot and Wicked are wonderful...if you can get tickets. Also check out Hairspray, Mama Mia, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, or The Producers. You may find discounts on many of these (including Beauty and the Beast) on www.broadwaybox.com or www.playbill.com.

nyc
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beauty & the Beast

If you don't have the kids with you - skip Beauty.

Altamonte Springs...
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beauty & the Beast

I realize I'm in a minority, but I enjoyed "Beauty" more than "The Lion King." I used "Beauty" as my kids' (then 10 & 12) introduction to Broadway and it started a love for theatre that has especially impacted my daughter.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beauty & the Beast

I'm with you, jas044 -- I loved Beauty, have seen it many times, though not recently. I thought it was better than Wicked, too, though I'm in a small minority on both. I wouldn't recommend Wicked for young children. If the flying monkeys in the movie frighten them, be warned that the musical's monkeys are just as scary.

SUFFOLK, U.K
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beauty & the Beast

Thanks for your help everyone - and a special thanks to Bettina on behalf of the hundreds of people you help on this website.

I trust all the new yorkers we meet in September are as helpful !

Altamonte Springs...
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beauty & the Beast

Bettina--on the outside chance you come back to this thread, "Wicked" has become my daughter's latest obsession. We usually try to pack a show or two into what has become our annual spring trip to the city, but it might have to be day trips next year. Girly girl wants "Wicked," my son wants "Spamalot" and neither wants to see the other.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beauty & the Beast

jas044 -- I think your problem is that neither wants to see the other show -- unless you're splitting up your family, or sending each child to the theater alone.

Altamonte Springs...
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beauty & the Beast

Bettina---for these specific shows, we'll probably do two day trips, one with each child, and then see something all together next April. Sorry if I got a little confusing.