We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner before Spamalot

Oxford, New York
Level Contributor
358 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner before Spamalot

Coming to NYC from upstate on Tuesday evening to see Spamalot. Looking for a nice place for dinner, steak , Italian maybe even Chinese. Not looking to spend too much but am willing to pay for good food. A couple of guys leaving the wives behind(they don't get Monty Python) looking for a good meal. What time what is the wait situation too?? thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

You need a reservation (which would solve any "wait situation") where ever you decide. For Italian Viceversa.

www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp…

If you want really casual, there's an Angelo's that has excellent brick oven pizza and other options at the Ed Sullivan theater where Letterman is taped. It would also be near your theater.

For steak Ben Benson or there's a branch of the Palm near there.

There's a place called McCormick & Schmick near the theater that does a pre theater prix fixe. If you register at playbill.com for free, you'll see a discount for the rest. for about $30 you get a 3 course meal. It leans toward seafood but there's steak entree option and a chicken. Don't know if you can get this page w/o registering

playbill.com/club/…591.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

Can't remember whether the show is at 7:30 or 8. Many shows are early (7:30) on Tuesdays. Don't know if Spamalot is one. Start your meal at least 2 hrs before show time if you want to avoid rushing.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

I agree that ViceVersa is an excellent choice. If you feeld the need to save a few $$ consider Trattoria Trecolori. Not as good as VV but much better than Olive Garden.

Advance reservations at either are necessary.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
304 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

There is a very good place for Italian in the heart of Times Square (I forget the address but it's 40-something Street). It's called John's and it is a "branch" of the original John's in Greenwich Village.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

John's pizzeria is on 44th st b/w Broadway & 8th ave and is great pizza. The other places are a bit closer to your theater.

new york
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

DB Bistro Moderne is a 5 minute walk from where Spamalot is playing (Schubert from memory but that I was laughing that hard I forgot) - excellent modern take on a bistro. Prix fixe is $42 / head which for the food is great value. Reservation a good idea. Cheap Italian - Tony's Di Napoli.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

John's is across the street from the Shubert Theater and has great pizza. Virgil's BBQ is a block away, on W. 44th between 7th-6th Aves. I think they've got the best barbecue in the city, and an enormous selection of beer. Ollie's Noodles is pretty good Chinese and is also directly across 44th St. from the theater. I like ViceVersa, but it's 7 blocks away. Closer Italian is Osteria al Doge, on the same block as Virgil's.

You can find menus for most places on www.menupages.com.

You'll love Spamalot!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

sunburst - we saw Spamalot last Tuesday night (the Tuesday shows are at 7pm). You'll love it! We ate after the show and walked across the street to John's. They have great pasta dishes also, besides the great pizza. No problem getting in at 9:30 pm either. Have a great time! (It's funny that the wives don't get Monty Python - my daughter and I loved it!)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
506 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner before Spamalot

Hey! Some wives get it! I think MP Holy Grail is the funniest movie I have every seen. Seeing Spamalot 2 wks from today, cant wait!!