We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

We are visiting NYC in December and are thinking about going to see "The Producers". First of all, would a 16 year old boy enjoy this? Also, what are the balcony seats like - good/bad view? Too far away? Any advice please!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

You will have a decent view if you are in the front of the balcony.

They balcony reaches ver most of the orch seats (almost to the middle) so front balcony seats are arguably better than rear mezz/orch seats.

However, if you are in the back of the balcony you will probably be dissapointed.

Here's a good chart for seating reference:

nytheatre.com/nytheatre/chartweb/plan_stj.htm

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

I don't think it's a great choice for a 16-year-old. Take a look at what else is playing. "Avenue Q" is very funny, "All Shook Up," "Hairspray," and "Wicked" might be better choices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
333 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

I don't know, i think a 16 year old boy might like it. Why don't you rent the movie and see what he thinks of that. The musical obviously has music, so it's a little different, but come on, dancing steins of beer...funny!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
333 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

I don't know, i think a 16 year old boy might like it. Why don't you rent the movie and see what he thinks of that. The musical obviously has music, so it's a little different, but come on, dancing steins of beer...funny!

But i do agree, Ave. Q is hysterical, but i don't know if I'd take a 16 year old.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

I think a 16-year old boy would enjoy "The Producers." It's deliberately offensive but definitely funny and entertaining.

"Hairspray" might be a little too "girly" for him. "Ave Q" is fun but there are some moments that a teenager might consider awkward to watch with his parents...i.e. full puppet nudity ;) Otherwise, it's a riot.

"Wicked" is a safe bet but getting tickets is a nightmare. It entertaining, funny and the production is spectacular.

You might also consider "Blue Man Group" and "Stomp" off-Broadway. They are definitely shows that would appeal to a teenager (especially "Blue Man Group")....but neither is on the same scale as most Broadway shows.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

Check out Playbill. There are many new shows on the horizon. I will be in NYC in December and have booked Spamalot. Holding to book The Odd Couple and several off broadway. As for seats, I recommend paying for the best you can afford. The closer you are to the actors, the more intense the experience.

Casa Grande, Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

We saw it last year and sat near the front of the balcony. The seats were fine - no problem seeing the stage. We didn't have any 16 year olds with us but our 19-26 year olds loved it. This year they want to see Spam-a-lot.

florida
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

I actually had seats in the first row of the balcony and had to lean forward to see over the spotlights attached to the balcony. I would think anything past the first row would be fine.

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Balcony seats at St James Theatre?

Thanks to everyone for your advice and recommendations!