We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which top hotel would you recommend?

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which top hotel would you recommend?

My husband and myself are going to New York next year (our second trip) and were hoping to stay in one of the cities "posh" hotels. Which ones are the best? I hear the plaza should be avoided? Any suggestios would be great-I have been thinking of the Waldorf.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from $36.00*
Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which top hotel would you recommend?

What about the Carlyle... i hear that it is supposed to be one of the best. Very exclusive.

If you have access try and get you hands on the December 2004 Conde Nast Traveller (The UK version) and there is detailed artice on "Five of the City's Finest" hotels. It includes The Pierre, The Lowell, The St Regis, The Mark, and the Carlyle. If not try looking on www.cntraveller.com.

Worth a look as it gives a balanced view. Gives the pro's and con's.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which top hotel would you recommend?

We have stayed at the Waldorf and found it VERY disappointing .

S

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which top hotel would you recommend?

We just returned from a six night stay at the Walfdorf yesterday and while I would say we were not dissapointed it was just not what we expected, the room was a decent enough size and the beds comfortable enough and clean but the bathroom cabinets could do with a re-vamp and some of the furniture is looking a bit worse for wear, there was hole in the bathroom roof that had been covered over with masking tape??!!!! but again it was clean. All of the public areas are very nice and all the staff that we encountered were friendly enough, if asked would we stay there agin the answer would probably be no.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which top hotel would you recommend?

The Waldorf is not really a posh hotel by any standard - the public spaces are grand but the standard rooms are not on a level with the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton or St. Regis, Penninsula - and the Palace doesn't compare to these either. Hotel rooms in the older NYC deluxe hotels can be dissappointing because of size, however, so if you want something fabulous in one of these - such as the Pierre, for example - do not get the cheapest room even if it's a great hotel. Almost all of the older properties, regardless of luxury level have some very tiny rooms with two single twin beds.

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Which top hotel would you recommend?

Sorry my report is a bit broken up but I have had a couple of Do's to go to since arriving home. I paid ��1131 for the 4 nights. We had a coffe and pastry and a very short call home for 68 dollars ( but I suppose thats usual for a 4*) Dont get me wrong I expect the rate was about right, it just was not glossy enough and I really do think they could include a breakfast or even a free coffe to warm you up after a day out. Other than that We LOVED NY and are going back this year my husband and son may also join us, and my daughter is already making plans to go with friends. I think that says it all.Do you know I would be much happier her going there than somewhere like Spain or Greece for her first holiday without Mum and Dad. We all felt very safe and the people are just so friendly. I shall write more later. Bye for now.

london
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Which top hotel would you recommend?

My pound sign is not printing so its 1131 POUNDS.