We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

London
14 posts
Save Topic
Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

Hi people,

Just wanted a bit of advice.

I am off to NY in September for a 5nights and plan to stay on Long Island City.

I am looking at the Days Inn as I have heard this is a relatively new hotel. Does anyone know when it opened as I can't seem to find any reviews on it whatsoever.

Also, would it be better to stay on Long Island city than Jersey city in relation to getting to the main shopping places in NYC like Bloomingdales and Macys, Fifth Avenue etc etc

Thanks.

London
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

Also, I have been on the Days Inn website, but there appears to be a couple of them located in the Long Island area, so could someone tell me which one is the one in question... the one that has recently opened.

East Coast of...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

GreenWhiteBlue gives a good description of the neighborhood here. It looks "interesting":

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2131866…

And if you're not familiar with the Days Inn chain, don't expect anything fancy at all. It should be very basic lodging and a far cry from the grand lobbies and mint-on-the-pillow service you might find in Manhattan.

The rates are attractive. We'll be pioneers at this establishment in a couple of weeks, for less than a hundred bucks a night.

East Coast of...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

Reviews have been posted. I submitted mine a couple of days ago; it should post soon.

We stayed there last weekend and found it to be perfectly suited for our needs: conveniently located, spotless, comfortable, and cheap, cheap, cheap. The rate we got, however, may never be seen again as the word gets out. Compare to La Quinta, Pan American, Comfort Inn, Quality Inn and other similar properties scattered about Long Island City.

GWB's description of this neighborhood is absolutely accurate. It ain't pretty, and it's not at all a tourist zone. Outside the front door is a layered fustercluck of traffic between you and the 33rd St./Rawson stop of the 7 train. You'll find even more commotion, and more trains, after a ten-minute walk over the railroad yard. But this sort of thing can be fun for those of us who go to New York City to experience a little hubbub.

It's still scenic, though, in a rusty, industrial sort of way. If you walk to the very west end of the 7's elevated subway platform, you'll get a cool view of the Empire State Building in the distance, and the train will give you glimpses of the Manhattan skyline peeking between factories and fantastically graffitied buildings as it snakes its way through that side of Queens.

Not for the squeamish, perhaps, but we loved it.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

"Also, I have been on the Days Inn website, but there appears to be a couple of them located in the Long Island area, so could someone tell me which one is the one in question... the one that has recently opened."

Just for the record, Long Island City is in New York City. While it's geographically located (along with ALL of Brooklyn and Queens) ON Long Island, it is not IN Long Island, which is a separate suburb of NYC.

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

Long Island is not a suburb of New York City. It is unsurprisingly a long island containing four counties, two of which are part of NYC - Queens and Kings ( Brooklyn ) and two of which are not - Nassau and Suffolk.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

Sure.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,344 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

huh?

East Coast of...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

Alice, I can't believe you've lost your will.

Nicolaitan, I'm sure your intentions are good, and I'm no authority on the subject, but I'm certain that "Long Island," as it commonly refers to Nassau and Suffolk counties, is definitely considered a suburb of New York City, but let's not get hung up on semantics. We know what Long Island is geographically, but there's little point in opposing the millions of people who know the difference between being "from Brooklyn" or "from Queens" and being "from Long Island."

So yeah, that Days Inn in Long Island City, though technically is on Long Island soil, would never be found by going out to Long Island because it is in New York City, and not in that suburban region that New Yorkers and the rest of the world refer to as Long Island.

9. Re: Help! Advice wanted on Days Inn Long Island City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, October 02, 2009