We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under 21 drinking?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Under 21 drinking?

My girlfriend and i are going to NY in august and are 20 years old. We are used to having drinks in canada. Will this be possible in NY or are they strict with the carding? where is my best bet to get a drink?

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Under 21 drinking?

Most bars and clubs are strict. Your best bet is to try places that are frequented by young individuals, e.g. near New York University or Columbia University.

White Plains
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Under 21 drinking?

What's the drinking age in Canada, if you don't mind?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Under 21 drinking?

The drinking age in Canada varies from province to province. Most provinces (such as Ontario where I live) have a drinking age of 19. Alberta and Quebec I believe are both 18.

White Plains
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Under 21 drinking?

Thanks!

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Under 21 drinking?

If you are willing to shell out $55 for a fake ID, you will be OK. Otherwise, tough luck!

Try to get one in Canada before you come here.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Under 21 drinking?

You should be fine in most restaurants (out of the tourist areas). Bars won't be so easy. Just try...if you get denied you get denied.

Hackettstown, New...
Level Contributor
187 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Under 21 drinking?

Do NOT take the advice of the TA member saying to buy a fake ID! Many apparent dealers of fake IDs in tourist-populated areas are really undercover cops, looking to arrest you. It would not be a pleasant trip if you get arrested along the way!

If you look mature in a restaurant and want to order drinks, you can get away with it. Bars and clubs are strict when it comes to underage drinking; it's best to go to an area populated by colleges, like the NYU area (the East Village). There, the bar owners are used to pulling the rules for under-21s.

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Under 21 drinking?

How old do you look?

Bars and clubs are stricter than restaurants, but if you look older than 21 many places won't bother to check. Worst case scenario, make friends with an older New Yorker in the bar and have him or her order a round of drinks. You might get away with it.

White Plains
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Under 21 drinking?

Hi again,

I'm by no means a teetotaler and may come off sounding like a hypocrite but here's what I think:

Forget about it. Forget about adding the stress of being turned down (at best) or arrested (at worst) while you're trying to enjoy your vacation.

Joe

PS - If you do choose to roll the dice, a fake ID might not be a very sensible way to do it in NYC. Not right now.

I personally believe that if you're old enough to get conscripted then you're old enough to buy a beer, but I'm not in charge of such things.

PPS - I don't know how you'll do it, but I have every confidence that you'll find a way to drink all you want as I vaguely remember being twenty years old.

Falling Waters, WV
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Under 21 drinking?

My daughter was carded even though she was with me. You will not get served any where in NY without ID if you look under 35.