We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear at a broadway show?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear at a broadway show?

My family is going to a broadway show grease and I am wondering what the dress code is? Also how much will it cost for transportion from JFK to 5th ave. 2 kids 18 & 15 and wife and myself.Thanks alot

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

The FAQ page on Broadway has a discussion of theater etiquette and what to wear:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

NO dress code at B'way theaters - wear what's comfortable, my wife and I dress smart casual, khaki's, Oxford shirt, nice top, skit=rt/slacks etc.....

A taxi is the most convenient way from JFK to midtown. Get in the taxi queue and get a YELLOW Cab only - do not accept a ride from those soliciting - they are unlicensed and it will cost you dearly.

YELLOW Cab - flat rate $45.00 plus toll/tip ending up around $60.00 door to door, as it were.

Hope this info was helpful.

Poppa

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

The taxi ride from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is $46 fixed plus toll and tip (about 20%)....a car service (which you can reserve by phone or on line..i like Dial 7) is about ten dollars or so more; And, it is very important when you talk about an address to say where on Fifth Avenue you are going since the street runs from Greenwich Village up to Harlem....many, many miles...you must specify to the taxi driver as well (always have the side street as well as the Avenue address)

Wear anything you like to the theatre (everyone else seems to these days) It used to be decorum to dress up but that goes back years....now the only time people dress well is for opening nights.....You may however want to skip the shorts and sneakers (but you will see others dressed like this......especially kids)

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

Thank you everyone for the info

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

Bring a wrap...it gets very chilly in some of those theatres!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

Wear whatever you are comfortable in - but I second the comment to take a wrap - sometimes the air conditioning is fierce

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

Thanks again... Were going to a show but what else should we do if were only going to be here for 2 days?

NYC
Level Contributor
904 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

Do whatever you want to do. If you're only here 2 days obviously you're not going to hit all the big things so what do you really want to do?

For 2 days, I would maybe pick one or two things I really want, like go to the Top of the Rock one day and walk the Brooklyn Bridge (just making up things here) and just cruise the rest of the time. IE, walk around somewhere: Upper West Side/Central Park, Greenwich Village;, get a sense of some neighborhoods. That seems to me the best way to get a sense of things in two days.

Hope you enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

Do you mean what else should you do at night? Or all-around?

Orange County
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear at a broadway show?

It helps to know that no fancy dress-up clothes are required for Broadway shows, especially if you're planning on packing light.

Why bring a whole extra pair of (probably uncomfortable for walking) dress shoes, or a shirt you'll have to keep in a garment bag to avoid wrinkling, if you're sitting next to a guy like me who came in Docs, jeans, and a black t-shirt? You will envy my comfort level as we go into the 3rd hour of that musical, stuffed into those tiny seats which criminally small amounts of legroom.

It's Grease! Go comfortable. Enjoy yourself. Break free of the archaic need to dress up for the theatre. Only the real snobs will care what you wear, and they need to remember that 50 years ago, people used to dress up whenever they went to the movies or flew on a plane, too.

Enjoy the show. And do not forget the comfortable shoes.