We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xmas trip

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
21 reviews
xmas trip

are there any hotels out of the city , one hour or so by car but sought of in the country that you would recommend from the 25 dec for three nights purely to just chill and relax or a 2 hour flight away but must be cheaper than NY hotels.

how far is westchester from neark/jfk

Hotels are crazy prices this year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
1 review
1. Re: xmas trip

I don't understand exactly what you want to do. Do you want to find a hotel within an hour drive of NYC and stay at the hotel over Christmas or you want to go to this hotel and drive/commute into Manhattan?

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: xmas trip

when i asked this before i was more or less told except for the catskills i think there wasnt much around, we will be in need for some real rest so we wanted to find a older more historic sort of place ie big real fires out of the city , great food, doesnt have to be ultra post , just nice, just to enjoy each other's company as well as the country, obviously we will be in new york for several days.

i dont really fancy another city and the weather a bit worries my husband as he is worried bad weather will result in cancelled flights and stress etc and we will miss flights home to the uk.

id thought of places like lake placid hense the two hour flight option but hubbie wants to be near to NY.

Thanks

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: xmas trip

bump

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: xmas trip

The Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck sounds like it would fit. I've stayed in the actual inn, and their Delamater houses (a compound of reno'd Victorian homes nearby) and actually liked the Delamater set up (and staff!) much more - but you can still go to the inn and hang out by the fire in the historical setting. There are great restaurants and antiquing in town. Because Culinary Inst of America is nearby there are a lot of small destination restaurants.

There's also an inn/motel up there run by a former B52 if you want something more funky, but I cant remember the name. And there is a higher end inn too, but I cant remember the name - closer to the Mass border?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: xmas trip

In addition to evening's great suggestion, you might try something in the town of Cold Spring, which is very pretty:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g47508-Cold_Spring_Ne…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: xmas trip

Oh, and slightly further away (1 1/2 - 2hrs) is New Paltz, which is a charming little college town in a very pretty setting near the Shawangunk Ridge, a popular rock-climbing destination. Since it's a college town, there are some good restaurants there, and I can recommend one bed-and-breakfast, the Lefevre House:

http://lefevrehouse.com/

I had a very good meal in NP at a place called The Locust Tree:

http://www.locusttree.com/index.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: xmas trip

Crans how is New Paltz without a car? When the bus goes through there on the way to Woodstock I've been intrigued but wonder if you can get around there without one?

I'm asking on behalf of myself since it sounds like the OP will have a car.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: xmas trip

youve been fab , a massive thanks but please keep the recommendations coming.

and i used to love the B52's .

Sharon in the UK

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: xmas trip

Were from the UK to scared to drive through and out of manhatten i know dont blame me, hubby will refuse to get in the car if i drive , ive had to many major accidents and he wont if the weather is not what he is used to ,so we would look for a alt route or pay for a driver if that is possible.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
10. Re: xmas trip

I dont really drive... I took Amtrak to Rhinebeck and there are cabs from the train station (in the winter you may want to arrange this in advance - I got lucky and bonded with people on the train, so they dropped me off)

Once in Rhinebeck a couple of days without a car are fine, but probably more than a weekend could kill you with boredom. There is a movie theater right in town, lots of antiquing - and a few bars, but there isnt much to do up there. Then again if you just want to read by a fire and have a romantic interlude, its a good spot!