We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from the airport to the hotel

london
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from the airport to the hotel

Will it be very easy to get a shuttle bus from newark airport to the milford plaza? or will it be easier for me to get a yellow cab?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from the airport to the hotel

There aren't "yellow cabs" at Newark. Since it's in New Jersey, it Jersey cabs. I would take a shuttle or order a car service. Since the shuttles go to Port Authority Bus terminal which is really close to the Milford Plaza, would make sense.

Kidderminster...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from the airport to the hotel

You can use SuperShuttle but if you do ensure that you do ring from airport. Do not stop at sign with your name when coming through cutoms as you will be duped like me. Use the Supershuttle phone only.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from the airport to the hotel

I would recommend a car service.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from the airport to the hotel

Hi

Or you can take a train into Penn Station and take a taxi from there. My wife and I stayed at Hotel Thirty Thirty in July this year and we took a train into Penn Station and from there it was only a few minutes to the hotel. I have posted more details in a trip report with pictures on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there. Have a great trip

Regards

Gard

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from the airport to the hotel

Hi there

I've just read your enquiry and thought you might find my reply useful.

I arrived in New York via Newark Airport on Thursday last week (2.12.04). We decided to get an Airlink Shuttle bus to East 48th Street. After we'd boarded the bus, both ourselves and the rest of the passengers were quite concerned about the bus drivers aggressive behaviour.

We passed our street 3 times - that we know off, without being dropped off and after three and a half hours we decided to disembark the bus as the driver would not commit to when we would be getting dropped off at our hotel. By this time we were at East 62nd Street - the driver demanded payment and refused to return our luggage although in the end we did get it back after threatening to get the police. Prior to this he shut two people off the bus and locked two on. I think the driver deliberately tried to kill time as I suspect he wanted finished for the evening and did not want to make another airport run and therefore it was easier to drive us and others passenger around town unnecessarily - this appeared evident when he received a radio message from his office to proceed to JFK and complained that he didn't have time. He also took the liberty of reversing up and down a one way street twice and made threatening gestures to a driver in another street after both blocking the driver in a space by the side of the road and subsequently hitting the persons car whilst opening the door of the bus. All in all, this was a complete nightmare.

We decided to get the express bus back to the airport on Sunday afternoon from East 41st Street at the corner of Lexington Avenue however this bus also stops at Penn Station and is $12 one way and $20 for a return journey- although I think it is slightly cheaper to and fro' Penn Station. This we found to be such a hassle free option and if possible would recommend that you do this.

We spoke to a couple of women waiting to board the same flight as us on our return journey and apparently they had paid a fortune for a yellow cab whose driver did not choose the shortest route to their street and hence according to them, they also had a prolonged journey and a hefty taxi fare to boot.

All in all I found New York to be a safe place and had a enjoyable trip despite getting off to a bad start but would recommend that you take express bus and if your hotel remains to be quite a distance away either connect via subway or yellow cab.

We used the subway from financial district to uptown (42nd Street) and found it to be safe enough mode of transport.

I hope you find this helpful.

JD

Parlin, NJ
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from the airport to the hotel

NJ Transit has a train that stops at Newark Airport and goes into Penn Station. It's the only way I go into the city. I really don't know where Milford Plaza is, so once you get into NYC, your best bet would be to grab a taxi from Penn Station.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from the airport to the hotel

The Port Authority operates the airports, and they list all the transport options on their site.

www.panynj.gov

I'd recommend the express bus to the Port Authority, it's just four blocks from the Milford Plaza.