We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Stuyvesant Town

London
7 posts
Save Topic
Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Hi,

I am thinking of renting an apartment for a week in Stuyvesant Town, and would like to find out whether it's convenient to travel from there to the tourist and shopping areas. Also, is it in a safe area?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

It's against the law to rent a vacation apartment in Stuyvesant Town:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1916378…

London
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Sorry, I should have clarified - it's a corporate apartment, so I can either stay here or in a hotel. Thanks for the warning anyway.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Corporate apartment or not, it's still illegal for you to rent out the apartment. Even corporate apartments are not rented out for less than 30 days, and I'm actually pretty sure that corporate apartments aren't allowed in Stuy-Town at all.

Level Contributor
547 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Stuy Town is between Second Avenue and the FDR drive and between 19-14. Its on the far east side of town. The nearest subway is at 14th and 3rd, or there are cross town buses at 23rd and at 14th.

Can't comment on the legality of a short term rental on a corporate apartment there. But, it helps explain why there is no affordable housing in NYC.

Stuy Town and its neighbor, Peter Cooper Village, were built at the end of WWII to entice the middle class to stay in the city when the suburbs were the American dream.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Schen: Could you please clarify -- are you perhaps saying your employer (or someone else's employer) has a long-term lease on an apartment in Stuy Town, to which you have access?

London
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Yup, that's pretty much how it is. So my company has an apartment that is used when its employees are there on business trip.

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

To clarify LI Families post,

Stuyvesnat Town runs from 1st ave(not second) to Ave C.(which for the most part runs along the FDR. It goes from 14th st to 20th st. From 20th to 23rd is Peter Cooper Village.

The L train stops at 14th and 1st ave's heading east and west along 14th. Heading east it will the stop at 3rd ave, Union Square, 6th ave and ends at 8th ave. 1st ave is the eastern most stop with the next stop out of the city being Bedford ave in Brooklyn.

It is interesting that you say you might stay here. I am a long time resident and have noticed many people coming and going with luggage recently. It has made me wonder if there is some sort of vacation rentals going on. Your post only fuels my suspicions.

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

I should also mention that the 23rd st bus runs along 20th st between ave C and 1st ave, turns onto 1st ave then heads over to 23rd st. There are 3 stops on 20th, the corner of ave C. Midway between Ave C and 1st and then the corner of 1st ave. This will connect you to the 23rd st trains starting at Lexington aves 6 line. I have to warn you the it moves at a snails pace and you can almost always walk faster9or at the same pace)

New York
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Sorry, re-reading my earlier post I should have said that the L train heads west into 3rd ave ect. East is the Brooklyn direction...

London
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Stuyvesant Town

Thanks for the info! Sorry for causing so much trouble/speculation - it's my company's corporate apartment, so I would assume that it's legal.