We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how the locals dress

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how the locals dress

Having just returned I want to dispell the myth that New Yorkers wear all black. They simply don't. They do however tend to wear dull colors and nothing too bright except for children. They wear shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, and tank tops. I saw lots of locals dressed this way. I know you want to know how I know they were locals and not tourists...The people I'm speaking of were selling art on the street, working in shops, passing through buildings with security keys, etc. Our Big Apple Greeter was wearing a plaid shirt, khaki pants, and tennis shoes. The two men sitting next to us at dinner one night were dressed similarly, and one of them told us he managed a building on the block. I did however choose to always wear black shoes and black capris or skirts. I am glad I did simply because we got so dirty from walking around all day.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how the locals dress

I have observed that the people in NYC dress nicely and comfortably, with comfort depending on what they are doing. High heels in Central Park are uncommon, yet common at a play. Ties on gentlemen seeing the sights are uncommon, yet common at a nice restaurant. Colour of clothing is a personal preference. All colours seem to blend in nicely in this city.