We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions...

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A few questions...

1. How is the new elevator system at the Marquis? I was ready to book after reading the recent positive reviews, but then I saw the new negative review complaining about the elevators, so now I'm not sure...I may just end up going with the Grand Hyatt.

2. This Staten Island Ferry...what if you don't wanna be dropped off at the Staten Island terminal and you wanna go back to the Manhattan terminal? Do you just stay on the boat the whole time?

3. Is the New York Skyride in the Empire State Building worth it?

4. Suppose I buy tickets to ESB in advance...how long is the wait to get up to the top?

Mentioned in this post
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,661 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
The Manhattan at Times...
9,320 Reviews
New York City, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,030 Reviews
New York City, NY
Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions...

1. Don't know, haven't stayed there.

2. You have to get off and get right back on. To my knowledge, you can't stay on the ferry for the round trip.

3. Don't know, didn't try the ride.

4. Depends on the time of day and particular day. There are signs that are periodically updated that should tell you how long the wait is from a certain point (like rides at Disneyland). Everyone still has to go through the security checkpoint (first line). Then there is the line to buy tickets, which you would bypass. After that, there's a third line to take the elevator up 80+ floors. This is the longest wait. Then there is a fourth line to get your pictures taken, get the audio tour, and take a second elevator up 6 more stories to the observation deck. You can walk up the stairs if you are feeling energetic. On the way down, if there is a line, walk down the six stories and then take the express elevator the rest of the way down. I've heard that early morning and late at night are the least crowded times to go. I went on Sunday morning at about 9 A.M. and the total wait was 45 minutes, but this was a holiday weekend (4th of July). "Your mileage may vary."

Joice, IA
Level Contributor
69 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions...

The sky ride was not worth it, in my opinion. However we had pizza in the ESB while trying to locate a bathroom and their pizza is fantastic!

Joice, IA
Level Contributor
69 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions...

The sky ride was not worth it, in my opinion. However we had pizza in the ESB while trying to locate a bathroom and their pizza is fantastic!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions...

1. It's still awful!!! They installed a "controller" (my name for it) where you enter the floor you want and it tells you which elevator to go to. It doesn't tell you what to do when there's no room on any of the elevators. There's an attendant directing traffic, but they've got a long way to go before they solve this problem.

2. You have to get off at the Staten Island terminal, but you just circle around (with the rest of the crowd) and re-board. It's really very easy.

3. No!

4. It depends on how long the line is. Enter "empire state" in the search bar and you'll find reports of how long others waited at different times of the day.

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions...

Oh dang, guess I'll be booking the Grand Hyatt...I really loved the Marquis last time we stayed though. Thanks for the info guys!