We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooftop bar

Dallas, Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Rooftop bar

We are staying at the Doubletree Metropolitan on 51st and Lex

July 7th and want to have drinks before dinner at the Palm Two on 2nd ave. Does anyone know a nice rooftop bar or a romantic "New York" experience type place to go to in that

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,581 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooftop bar

From a location standpoint, theTerrace at the Sutton Place bar and restaurant is the only place that's not really out of the way from your hotel to the restaurant. It's at 2nd ave b/w 53-54 st.

Rare at the Shelburne Murray Hill hotel wouldn't be too far off the mark (Lexington & 37 st)

The Pentop at the Peninsula is also not too far out of your way (Fifth & 55 st)

Here's a listing with a bunch of rooftop places.

Other options would be the rooftop bar (enclosed) at the Beekman Tower hotel or perhaps best, the Campbell apartments at Grand Central Station. Very romantic and very NY.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooftop bar

Just a word of caution about the Sutton Place. The Sutton Place is one of several hangouts along 2nd Ave in the 50s for the 20-something after work crowd. It's a 3 or 4 story building on the roof of which they established this rooftop bar a few years ago. Although I have never been up there, what I can see from the street is a bar and a big-screen TV and a lot of people standing. I'm not certain exactly what you have in mind, but this place is different from the others mentioned, and not my own personal idea of a romantic or special NY experience.

The Top of the Tower at the Beekman Tower Hotel, mentioned in NYWhiz's post, is at First Av. and 49th Street, quite near Palm Too, which is on Second Av. between 44th and 45th. It has nice views of the towers of Manhattan, the UN and the East River.

Sort of diagonally across the street from the Beekman Tower, on FIrst Av. between 47 and 48, is the Trump World Tower, one of the more recent Trump buildings, and one of the tallest. There is a newish bar on the lobby level, rather pretentiously called "The World Bar." I haven't been and know little about it other than that the drinks are extremely expensive, but just thought I'd mention it, since it's near where you're going.

A couple of other classic NY bar experiences you might want to consider, although none of these involve rooftops either:

1. King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel, 55th Street between 5th and Madison (west of your hotel, rather than east like Palm Too). St. Regis is a Starwood hotel, so you can probably get more info on their website.

2. Monkey Bar at the Elysee Hotel, 54th Street, between Madison and Park, also west of your hotel, www.elyseehotel.com.

3. Guastavino's, 409 East 59th St, between FIrst Av. and Sutton Place, under the 59th St. (Queensboro) Bridge (east and north of your hotel). Have an outdoor terrace. www.guastavinos.com

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor