We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

I want to bring back some distinctive tshirts for some friends - where is the best place to look? Thanks for any suggestions...

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

Bumping up to beat the troll

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

Bumping up to beat the troll

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

If the 16yo has never been to NYC on her own before, then no, I wouldn't let her shop alone. Most areas in Manhattan are safe, but I'd be concerned about a teenager left alone. Granted, there are plenty of kids who come to NYC at that age or just a bit older to start college, but they usually have other students around them. I'd just be concerned about how street-savvy your own kid is.

California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

I agree with NYYankeeFan! My daughter and I went to NYC about four years ago. Although we felt safe the whole time, I would not have wanted to leave her alone. You never know what could happen, in any city. Besides there could be a lot of traffic due to an accident or whatever and you could be gone four hours instead of two. She would be in a strange city alone, with no one to call should she need someone.

los angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

Thanks, you reminded me that anything can happen, even to me. So I won't leave her alone there.

New York City
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

I agree with some of the posts. I think the most eccletic area is the East Village. I would look on St. Marks between 2 and 4th Ave. I would also go to Tompkins Square Park, there are a bunch of shops along side the West side of the park as you walk south. Good Luck.

los angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

Thank you for the detailed directions. I will have to schedule more than half a day roaming around this astor place...st mark's.....tompkins area with my 16 year-old daughter who likes arts.

Any particular "bad" areas I have to avoid? in terms of safety, pickpocketing or robbery?

New York City
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

Almost all of Manhattan is safe anytime day or night. The only exception is north of 100 st or east of Avenue C at night. The blessing of a city like NY, and especially of Manhattan is that there is such safety in numbers. That is, there are people on the street 24 hours a day, and with that is safety. I only feel unsafe when there is no one around, and you find that situation most often in Brooklyn and Queens (which are much quieter in general). In over 4 years living in the East village, I never had one problem and never heard of anyone of my friends being mugged or anything like that.

By the way, I think that more than a half day in the east village and Tompkins square may be overkill. Although there are tons of eccletic shops and people around, I would find it boring for more than a half day, but maybe your daughter would feel differently.

los angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to buy hip, cool t-shirts?

Many thanks indeed.