We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangerous New York!!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
345 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Dangerous New York!!!

You New Yorkers must get hacked off by the amount of people who are asking how safe your city is. There are way too many scared people (for no reason i may add) out there.

The movie industry has a lot to answer for lol

I've been to NYC 3 times and honestly have never felt safer anywhere else.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

It's not just the TV and movie industries. Sometimes people still think NYC is like it was in the early to mid-70s when the city was broke and crime-ridden. When you tell people who think like that, that those days are gone and NYC is much safer, they often don't believe you.

Texas
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

My 2 teenage daughters and I just returned from a 5 day trip to NYC. We remarked on several occasions how friendly and helpful everyone was in NYC. We so enjoyed our trip, and the people were a big part of that. I hope when people come to Texas we are as welcoming!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

Yes and to add, about the movie industry they could get our accents right also. I dislike when they try to imitate the New York City accent, and they just don't get it right. Ya know!

No reason to be scared are barks are bigger then our bites. I think honestly people use the word safe to describe other fears as well, like being able to use public transportation without getting lost and dealing with mass amounts of people in a rush, are a few idea's why the word safe comes to mind in my opinion.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

My sister is all worried about me coming to NYC by myself, I told her it's safer than Melbourne where I live.

Mind you last time I was in NYC with my sister was 1982 and I was 11, she was 10 - we still walked around the city with our parents at night quite happily though.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

LOL - RuairiBhoy - don't know if you realize it, but "hacked off" in American English means "chopped off with a knife or axe" and is usually used to describe terrible violence or horror movies. (As in "Her head, arms and legs were hacked off and she was stuffed in a suitcase and left under the Brooklyn Bridge")

Excellent choice for your topic! ;o)

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

"My sister is all worried about me coming to NYC by myself, I told her it's safer than Melbourne where I live.

Mind you last time I was in NYC with my sister was 1982 and I was 11, she was 10 - we still walked around the city with our parents at night quite happily though"

I do wonder what part of Melbourne you live in because that claim is actually very wrong. I'm from Sydney so any opportunity to get stuck in to you guys down south I wouldn't normally miss but that's just not true. I feel I have to correct you because it gives people the wrong impression (much like the view often put forward that NYC is the most dangerous city in the USA. Its not and anyone who can read a graph can figure that out for themselves if they bother). Australia, and Melbourne, are VERY safe on a world scale.

Now that I'm ranting I might as well say why Melbourne is safe. As an example , murder statistics show that in Melbourne there were 15 homicides in 2006/2007. The population of Melbourne is roughly 30% (give or take) that of NYC and last year there were approximately 490 (give or take) murders in New York City (whether NYC operates on calendar or financial year I don't know but 12 months is 12 months wherever you are!).

Anyhoo...that means for you to be at equal risk of being murdered in Melbourne as in NYC there would need to be around 150 (give or take) murders a year. Not FIFTEEN!

My point actually being that unless people have statistics to back their claims it's silly for people to generalise. If individuals feel unsafe and the crime stats don't back up their fears (as in this case) then it's entirely their problem and maybe they should lock themselves up and never go out...???

& btw NYC is actually one of **the** safest cities in America. Baltimore on the other hand...

Katherine

Glasgow
Level Contributor
345 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

Queensboulevard LOL

Oops but i suppose it's now a very Monty Python esq quote.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
345 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

Oh and by the way all. The Warriors made it home to Coney Island.

Stay safe boppers!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

Hi Katherine

Unfortunately the perception is that Melbourne isn't very safe any more.

There is a problem in Melbourne with drug and alcohol fuelled violence and they are actually looking to New York's Zero Tolerance as an example/idea of what can be done.

news.com.au/heraldsun/…00.html

Hope those links work.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dangerous New York!!!

It is stupid to ask about crime in New York, as many on here will point out there is zero crime in New York and zero no go areas.