We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst NYC experience?

Meath, Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Worst NYC experience?

what was your worst NYC experience? if you had one, mine was unfortunately staying at the carter hotel for 2 nights and seeing cockroaches and mice in our room, apart from that our trip was amazing.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst NYC experience?

Mine was JFK airport on departure cause I was coming home :(

Seattle
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst NYC experience?

It was my first time to NYC, and I got lost on the subway ....missed lunch at the River Cafe, and it was resturant week! Here's a tip: ask a New Yorker where to go, most were very helpful.

Belfast N. Ireland
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst NYC experience?

Arriving at hotel evening before Thanksgiving to be told we had no reservation!

titusville pa
Level Contributor
122 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst NYC experience?

After much walking for just a couple of days, I got heel spurs or something, my left heel felt like I was walking on nails. But I wanted to see the City so badly, I didn't stop walking. Still alittle painful after 1 week back. To bad about the Carter for you, I don't know if I could have stayed and still enjoyed the trip. Good for you.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst NYC experience?

Mine was on our second trip,(before the internet was widely used) and we'd been booked into the Pennsylvania. A year earlier we'd been in the New Yorker (urgh) and when we got to the Pennsylvania...we'd done it again! Didn't stop us from enjoying the holiday though or stop me from returning again, and again......

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst NYC experience?

Mine was my stay at the Wellington Hotel.

Although the location can't be beat and the hotel is nice, clean, safe, etc. they have the worst staff in the world. Twice we came back to our room and there was no toilet paper at all. (Including the one that had been on the roll!) One day we came back all dirty and grungy from walking around all day in the heat and humidity. We had about 15 - 20 minutes to get ready to go to David Letterman and we discovered that the maid had come in, cleaned the room and left us no towels. Not even a face cloth! I had to wash up with napkins I retrieved from the wastebasket from some fast food we had had (I know - why was the wastebasket full when the maid had cleaned the room?)

Also, apparently our room was on the side of the hotel where the garbage is picked up EVERY NIGHT at approximately 3:00 a.m. It would take about an hour and involved a giant LOUD garbage disposal. I spent this hour every night sitting in the bathroom reading (so as not to wake up my travel companion who somehow slept through this) before I could get back to sleep. The final kicker came when on our last evening there we decided to stay up later than usual since we were leaving around noon and figured not enough time to really do anything so we would just sleep in and get up and go only to be awakened at 6:00 a.m. by a 'wake-up call' that we hadn't ordered!

Needless to say I have avoided the Wellington since that time!

Of course, hotel aside, New York was wonderful as usual.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
280 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst NYC experience?

Mine was The Empire State Building. Well not really the building but the workers inside. They were so rude and unhelpful. NOT a smile, pushing people around. My daughter was tired from walking and so sat down, she got yelled at to get up. Then there was the cheesy photo you were supposed to stand infront off. With my husband not a chance he decides to walk off leaving the rest of us to follow. The picture at the end was hillarious. 7 people all trailing behind him. I will be honest I thought the people I met in New York didn't smile very much. I only met one lovely American Lady who told me not to go to the Statue of Liberty but to catch the free ferry instead. Also one waitress who works at the Theatre Diner on 42nd street was lovely also really friendly. I would goto New York again I thought it was out of this World.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
280 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst NYC experience?

I should have said I met 2 lovely people in New York not one!!!!

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst NYC experience?

It just hit me - maybe the cleaning staff wasn't happy with our tips - or didn't like us for some other reason. When I read my post it almost sounds like they were deliberately torturing us - LOL

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worst NYC experience?

Irishdancer,

In defence of the New Yorkers, the reason that we did not smile very much, you were looking at people who were in a rush to get home or to work or appointments. Think about yourself, how often do you smile when you are preoccupied with thoughts? New Yorkers are a happy bunch for the most part and I do not beleive that you did not see two or more people that were talking to each other and laughing. Besides, it is not a culture of the big city, more so of a small town. I am sure if you asked for an assistance, people would have been more then happy to help you and point you in the right direction, while supplying you with additional information.

As far as the staff at the ESB, they are always on high alert for terrorists. I used to work across the street from ESB up until a year ago. On September 11, 2001, the first plane passed over the Empire State Building way too low. If it would have struck it, I would not be typing away right now. The reason they told your daughter to get up is because they have thousands of people and kids going through that lobby every day and they did not want a precedent to be set. If you girl sat down, then another girls sat down, then a boy and so on and so on, they would have a real problem if emergency occured.

There are benches on 34th street and if you were tired from walking, you could have had a rest or went to one of 2 lovely little parks on Herald square.