We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Coney Island...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Coney Island...

I'm wondering if I should visit Coney Island. I have time available to visit there on July 4th, in the late afternoon, after a Yankees game. Is it worth going all the way out there to visit? I've never been there before. I also want to try a hot dog. I know that day is the hot dog-eating contest, but unfortunately, I'll be at the game at that time. Do you guys recommend checking that place out? I'm assuming it's safe there around 5:30PM-6PM. I'm thinking after that, I'll just take the subway to Brooklyn or Manhattan to catch the fireworks show that night.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Coney Island...

You should be getting to the FDR to see the fire works around 7, so going out to Coney island between the fire works & game might be pushing it & then they won't allow you onto the FDR.

Yes, in the summer (When it's still sunny) it's safe to be in Coney Island at that time. As with all of NY, just keep your eyes open & don't let your guard down.

Have fun.

Go Yankees.

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Coney Island...

You might want to keep in mind that train ride from Yankee stadium to Coney Island will cost you 1.5 hr at the minimal.... I would suggest you find another time to go there.

Why don't you stick around in the city before the fireworks. Have you think about going to the St. Marks area to try some cheap Japanese food? Or to West Broadyway to have a cup of coffee?

baltimore
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Coney Island...

yes west broadway has the best coffee. dont have coffee anywhere else!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Coney Island...

ekhiltz,

You say I should get to FDR to see the fireworks around 7. I know the fireworks start around 9PM. Does it get THAT crowded that I should be there THAT early? And where's the best place to view the fireworks? Any input would be appreciated.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Coney Island...

It does get that crowded - people start gathering in the afternoon to watch.