We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in NY when it rains?

What to do in NY when it rains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:30 am, February 15, 2017
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

Bring a brolly? ;o)

Seriously though, what did you have planned?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

Go to a museum, go to the theater, eat, shop, buy an umbrella?

What kinds of outside things had you planned? If they were bus or boat tours, or the Staten Island Ferry, or something of that nature, you are out of the elements to a degree. Unless it is just a deluge, you shouldn't be too badly off in those situations.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

We had one morning of rain and spent it in the Natural History Museum. My 41 year old loved the dinosaurs :-)

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

On our one rainy day we took a tour of the United Nations and explored grand central terminal and the public library on 5th and 42nd. UN tour was very interesting and grand central and the library are incredible buildings.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

ange - how snarky of you, just kidding!

Poppa

Midwest
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

You can always go to Museum Mile when it's raining (although everyone does this so it's crowded, but still a great day to spend a rainy afternoon.) It's easy to kill a day at the MET, Guggenheim, etc. Speaking of the MET, be sure to check out the roof! Awesome views of the city/park and free to go up. You can also pay whatever you want to get into the MET. I always give a dollar. Helpful if you're on a budget.

The south street seaport is always kinda cool. It's basically a big mall with views of downtown and the brooklyn bridge.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
273 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

The good news for you, Christine is that weather forecasts that far in advance have very little credibility. Also, it is very unlikely that you will have rain for 3 out of 5 days. Once or twice maybe, but I doubt it will rain that much. The above museum suggestions are great for rainy weather.

8. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:30 am, February 15, 2017
Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

It's March so I doubt you were going to the beach. I'd just have an umbrella or other rain gear and continue on my way.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in NY when it rains?

we're not really mall people here. We have Time Warner Center and Manhattan Mall in Manhattan and Queens Center in Queens - but most of the same stores will be found all over. Time Warner Center has some great restaurants and decent stores if you need something if it rains.

As I mentioned earlier this week in a post about the village, the restaurants that normally have long lines dont on rainy/snowy days so those could be the days to go to the types of places that get lines - like John's Pizza (where I have never been but visitors seem to like), or Pearl Oyster Bar.