We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please, I need your help!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Please, I need your help!

Hello,

I find myself in kind of a jam. My husband and I decided we wanted to take a weekend trip to the city. So, I went ahead and made hotel reservations through hotwire. We will be staying the Sheraton Hotel and Towers 9/2-9/4...it was $157 per night. We will also be taking a train to the city from PA. That is going to cost us $180. Everything is already costing us more than we really wanted to spend. But, we figured, we deserved this weekend away since we have not had the opportunity for awhile.

Just today, I got a wedding invitation in the mail from a friend of mine. She is getting married 10/29 of this year. Guess what? It is going to be in NYC. From what I understand, it is going to be held at the Waldorf. I really do not want to miss this grand event.

I just do not know how we can swing both trips financially. I do not think it is possible to cancel hotel reservations that have been purchased through hotwire. Am I correct? I am not worried about the train tickets....I have yet to purchase them. And to top things off, I have already purchased tickets to see Wicked on 9/2.

What a jam I find myself in. I just do not know what to do. In a perfect world, I would just cancel all of our reservations and tickets and go for the weekend in October for my friend's wedding.

Anyone have any suggestions?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please, I need your help!

Why not contact hotwire and ask what their policy is. Or find out about just changing the date of your trip to October. They might allow you to do this. Same with your theater tickets. Contact the agent you purchased them through and see if they can exchange them for another date. If not, try selling them on ebay or craigslist.org.

Good luck.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please, I need your help!

Not sure of the hotwire rules. Find a # to call them. Possibly ask if it can't be cancelled, can it just be changed to those other dates.

As for the wicked tickets. try to sell them on e-bay.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please, I need your help!

I've dealt with hotwire cancellations and they usually are immovable but you can go ahead and try, it can't hurt. Give them a call, don't email them., and see how willing they would be to change the date. Unfortunately at check-in whoever made the reservation has to be present so you can't sell off your reservation to someone else either.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please, I need your help!

One other thing mama, there is a message board called betterbidding.com and you could post your question on there. A lot of folks on that board are seasoned hotwire/priceline users.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please, I need your help!

Have you thought about some ways you might be able to rearrange your budget or earn a little extra money and go ahead and do BOTH trips? It sounds like you've already done a nice job planning your September trip, gotten a good rate at your hotel, tickets for a good show. For the wedding, maybe you could just come up for one night, and maybe the Waldorf will have a special rate for guests of this wedding.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please, I need your help!

One other thing. You should check hotel rates for late October now. I suspect you will not be able to duplicate the rate you got for the Sheraton over the Labor Day weekend, as that is a slower period for NY hotels than later in the fall.