We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joe's Pub

Minneapolis, MN
14 posts
Save Topic
Joe's Pub

I'm coming to New York for the first time in over 40 yrs. By a happy coincidence, a singer I like very much is performing at Joe's Pub during the time I'll be there. I've read reviews about the place and they run the gamut from "great place" to "the bouncers are pretty rude and I'll never go back" and "you have to pay extra to sit down." If I have a ticket to the show I should be O.K., right? Would someone be willing to tell me the best way to approach this? Do I ask for dinner reservations when I buy the ticket? Sit at the bar? Can I walk back to Times Square (my hotel is near there) afterward or do I take a taxi?

NYC
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Joe's Pub

No food reservations needed. You do need a ticket. If you sit at a table there's a per-person or per-table food minumum. There's no minimum at the bar but it's at the back of the room and you'll be hearing drink orders through the show.

Dress spiffy. This is not a jeans-tennies-fanny pack kind of place.

Joe's Pub around 2 miles from Times Square. The walk is safe at night.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Joe's Pub

I prefer the bar to the tables, which are way too close to the overly amplified sound system. And, while the food isn't terrible, it isn't very wonderful either.

It's a long walk to Times Square. From Broadway & 8th St. you can take the Uptown N, R, W to Times Square, it'll take about 15 minutes. When you leave Joe's Pub, turn right and walk to 8th St. (Astor Place), it's just a block away. Turn left at the first Starbucks you see. The subway entrance is on the next block. Any train that comes along will stop at times Square.

Appley Bridge...
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joe's Pub

I like Joe's a lot. Do make sure you have tickets in advance because it's a small place and they often sell out. I've never eaten there - it seems like you have to get there really early to snag a table and the food look just 'eh.' You can do better in the area. One of my favorite bars/cafes, Great Jones, is right around the corner and I'll usually eat there and sit, or stand, at the bar at Joe's.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joe's Pub

I went to the theater next door for a play on a Sat. night back in April. After the play (around 9:30 p.m.), we headed to Joe's pub. Tickets were not sold in advance of the performance and we just paid a cover charge at the door. There were plenty of tables available and we just ordered dinner when we got there. I guess it depends on the act and who is performing on whether or not you need/want to get tickets in advance. The singer/band I saw was excellent and exceeded my expectations. It also seemed like a good crowd. You can check the event calendar and other info. at Joe's website, www.joespubl.com.

I thought it was a great venue. It was smaller more intimate venue so any place in the house probably was a good seat. The accoustics were very good. And, it was a pretty cool place. The food was excellent, especially the pasta. I highly recommend getting dinner there. The mojito was also very good.

There was a subway stop about 1 1-1/2 blocks away from Joe's. I dont' know the name of the stop though.

Overall, I would highly recommend it. I'm thinking of returning when I go up to NYC in a couple of weeks.